Lawn Boy Silver series metallic sounding noise when pull started. need help please.

PaSilver

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Lawn Boy Silver series metallic sounding noise when pull started. need help please.
Hi. Thanks to everyone on the board for having me. I have a lawn-boy silver series (model 10301) that has been neglected. A while back the pull handle fell off its holder and went under the mower. Thankfully enough of it was saved that i could pass the cord through it and knot it. It seems shortly after that time, I have notice a quick "cling" or a "ring" sound right before it fires up. I dont know if its related or maybe just something is loose. I dont know if I need to have it serviced or I can do it myself. Any help you could give me would be awesome.

Thanks for your time.

Rokon

Threads
  • / Lawn Boy Silver series metallic sounding noise when pull started. need help please.
This is a shot in the dark. It sounds like the recoil starter pawls may be damaged and are hanging up in the starter cup.

Hard to say without it in my hands...:ashamed:

PaSilver

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hey Thanks for the help. I took it apart yesterday and found that the screws were missing off the housing that holds the pull starter.They must have vibrated out. Gonna replace them and see if that's the culprit. I'm thinking maybe it was slipping out a bit then catching. Ill keep you posted.

Streamlight

Threads
Hi. Thanks to everyone on the board for having me. I have a lawn-boy silver series (model 10301) that has been neglected. A while back the pull handle fell off its holder and went under the mower. Thankfully enough of it was saved that i could pass the cord through it and knot it. It seems shortly after that time, I have notice a quick "cling" or a "ring" sound right before it fires up. I dont know if its related or maybe just something is loose. I dont know if I need to have it serviced or I can do it myself. Any help you could give me would be awesome.

Thanks for your time.
I have a lawnboy 10301 also and like mowing with it occasionally, this mower has the v-series engine which is known to vibrate bolts out. If you look at most of the assembly bolts above the deck you'll see that they are thread starter bolts and don't have a full round thread surface to make good contact. The solution I found was to put blue loctite (242) on all the bolts. Also put the same loctite on the muffler bolts and engine mounting bolts.