What blades for my zd221?

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
I don't cut grass for a living and I really can't imagine a huge difference between different types of mowers. When I think about it in simple terms, you have a motor turning blades at a certain rpm with blades and it cuts what it comes into contact with. The only variables are the blades and mower deck (assuming the motor is powerful enough). Is the Scag deck that much different from the Kubota deck? I don't know the answer, but it must be if it indeed cuts Bahia that much better. I have had three different Kubota mowers (mid mount mower on small tractor and finish mower on medium size tractor and now the zd221) and they all cut Bahia what I consider very well, but again I don't cut grass for a living so I really don't have experience with other machines to make a comparison.

We have 60+ properties on schedule and cut numerous others here and there. This year we have cut properties as large as 40 acres. Again I an a tried and true Kubota man. However the Scag will put it to shame in tall Bahia grass.

I ran a Turf a Tiger with a 60" deck and 35hp motor for several days that is a demonstrator. It was about $3K higher than the Turf a Tiger if memory serves me correctly. It used so much gas that I decided not yo spend the extra $$ and get it. Also we cut in a lot of places that he 52" can get into that the 60" can't that I bought the 52" on the Tiger Cat. We have run the hide off of it for a couple of weeks.

sjm1580

Threads
Interesting about the deck(s). I hate to go try a Scag now and then dislike the Kubota. Well you have to like the fuel consumption on a Kubota. If I keep myself ignorant on the cut difference between the Scag and the Kubota I think I will still think the Kubota is the greatest.

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Interesting about the deck(s). I hate to go try a Scag now and then dislike the Kubota. Well you have to like the fuel consumption on a Kubota. If I keep myself ignorant on the cut difference between the Scag and the Kubota I think I will still think the Kubota is the greatest.

Even the 22 hp Kawasaki on the Tiger Cub does not do as well on fuel as the ZG 222.

The ZD 326 has two tanks and I am not tough enough to run both tanks out in a day.

wingstrut

Threads
Hey Guys, I'm new to this thread, but not new too mowing, I have lived in Florida for over 55 years and have used many types of mowers back when all there was is Bahia grass, I found if you slow down your forward speed you can cut it with any mower.
I hope that helps.
I'm looking at purchasing a new Kommander Z121S, my grass is mostly St Augustine, I hope this mower will work alright on this grass.
At my age this should be my last mower purchase.
We have a Scag dealer in the area, do you think I should look at this instead of the Kubota, I have a Kubota diesel tractor and I love it, that is why I was looking at their brand.
Sorry to get off the subject, but I need a mower as my grass is about 10 inches high.....................Ron

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hey Guys, I'm new to this thread, but not new too mowing, I have lived in Florida for over 55 years and have used many types of mowers back when all there was is Bahia grass, I found if you slow down your forward speed you can cut it with any mower. I hope that helps. I'm looking at purchasing a new Kommander Z121S, my grass is mostly St Augustine, I hope this mower will work alright on this grass. At my age this should be my last mower purchase. We have a Scag dealer in the area, do you think I should look at this instead of the Kubota, I have a Kubota diesel tractor and I love it, that is why I was looking at their brand. Sorry to get off the subject, but I need a mower as my grass is about 10 inches high.....................Ron

If you are cutting Bahia grass the Scag will out cut the Kubota. Plain and simple. On about any other kind of grass I have run into the Kubota will,do just fine. We run a ZG 222 Kubota and a ZD 326 Kubota. We also run a Tiger Cat Scag.

Grass that the Kubota has to go over twice to cut the Scag will cut equally well in one pass. We run me both daily in the same yards.

wingstrut

Threads
If you are cutting Bahia grass the Scag will out cut the Kubota. Plain and simple. On about any other kind of grass I have run into the Kubota will,do just fine. We run a ZG 222 Kubota and a ZD 326 Kubota. We also run a Tiger Cat Scag.

Grass that the Kubota has to go over twice to cut the Scag will cut equally well in one pass. We run me both daily in the same yards.

I am mowing my own yard, 1 acre and it is 90% St Augustine, so I guess I will go with the Kubota.
Thanks Jekjr, you can't get a better opinion than from someone who uses both pieces of equipment, Thank you again..................Ron

I know that this mower is a little overkill on just an acre, but I'm getting tired of walking behind my self propelled 26 inch Sarlo.
Plus it looks like everyone is moving up to the ZTR's, they look like they will be fun to operate.

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
I am mowing my own yard, 1 acre and it is 90% St Augustine, so I guess I will go with the Kubota. Thanks Jekjr, you can't get a better opinion than from someone who uses both pieces of equipment, Thank you again..................Ron I know that this mower is a little overkill on just an acre, but I'm getting tired of walking behind my self propelled 26 inch Sarlo. Plus it looks like everyone is moving up to the ZTR's, they look like they will be fun to operate.

We love Kubota equipment. The zero turns are built like tanks. The 200 and 300 series are any way. I am not overly impress with the 100 series but I have never been on one either. I have about 600 hours on my ZD326 and about 375 on my ZG222. Because of the conditions they have been run under both have been hammered. They are like an old Timex Watch. They take a licking and come back ticking. If you are only cutting an acre, there are times we cut as much grass in a couple of days as you will cut on a year.

wingstrut

Threads
Well. I'm 68 years old, walking behind a 26 inch mower for two hours is a lot, especially with a bad heart, and a tractor type mower will not cut on the slope that I have, but the lower gravity of the zero turn should do a better job if approached slowly.
I have to agree the Zero Turn is overkill, but at my age, (I'm not crippled, I can still climb trees and prune, paint the house, lay block, build structures,) but it will be fun for a change.
I should probably get the lower end mower as it will probably do the job, but I like the quality of the upper end series, I can't justify a commercial grade, so that is why I was looking at the Kommander Z121S.
You said that you were not familiar with the 100 series, If you look at them they look pretty tough compared to some of the other mowers in that class.

There is one thing I don't understand, the mower decks have square corners, they are not rounded like most mowers, how do they cut the grass without leaving clumps, it seems like the grass would bunch up in the corners then fall out on the ground, do you have this problem.?
Thanks for your time......Ron

PS: not too many years ago a good mower would cost around $400.00 now they are $5,000 to $10,000

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Well. I'm 68 years old, walking behind a 26 inch mower for two hours is a lot, especially with a bad heart, and a tractor type mower will not cut on the slope that I have, but the lower gravity of the zero turn should do a better job if approached slowly. I have to agree the Zero Turn is overkill, but at my age, (I'm not crippled, I can still climb trees and prune, paint the house, lay block, build structures,) but it will be fun for a change. I should probably get the lower end mower as it will probably do the job, but I like the quality of the upper end series, I can't justify a commercial grade, so that is why I was looking at the Kommander Z121S. You said that you were not familiar with the 100 series, If you look at them they look pretty tough compared to some of the other mowers in that class. There is one thing I don't understand, the mower decks have square corners, they are not rounded like most mowers, how do they cut the grass without leaving clumps, it seems like the grass would bunch up in the corners then fall out on the ground, do you have this problem.? Thanks for your time......Ron PS: not too many years ago a good mower would cost around $400.00 now they are $5,000 to $10,000

We don't have a problem with grass bunching in the corners and making a mess. In the area we live in most people cut grass very two weeks. Many times it is like cutting hay. We have many times to pick our decks up high and run over clippings to disperse them to make a yard look good.

Many times with e Kubota mowers we have to double cut tall Bahia grass to make it look good as well. Our Tiger Cat Scag will normally cut Bahia in one pass better than the Kubota mowers will. More times than not the Kubota mowers will have to slow to a crawl or either make a second pass to make it look as good.