John Deere LX 176 - No spark issue

cummins600seriesdiesel

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello Everyone. I had posted before for my John Deere LX 176 mower not having spark. The rider has been trouble free for years when I bought it used from my local New Holland dealer. I'll give a run down on what I have done to the tractor to get advice on a possible solution. Prior to the tractor stopping completely I noticed at times it cranked awhile before starting. I got the tractor out to mow the lawn and once I got started and ran a couple passes it stopped suddenly as if it were out of gas. I knew the gas was full because I had just filled it prior to mowing. I ran to the store and bought a new in line fuel filter and spark plug. I returned home changing both and it still would not start. I grabbed the New Holland and forks scooping her up to the garage. Once there I checked the tractor finding no spark at the plug. I figured it was a coil issue and went back to my New Holland dealer to order a coil since their sister store is a John Deere dealer. Once at the dealer they needed my tractor info which is as follows (1993 John Deere LX 176 - 14 hp K series - code FC420V-AS10 - e/no FC420VA63547 Kawasaki). The coil arrived (AM121820) $95.16 and I replaced same with no spark still. I then figured the ignitor may have went bad and went to the local NAPA store and had them cross the ignitor $75.00. I picked up the ignitor and put it on still having no spark. I then read where someone said its best to put factory parts, so I returned to the dealer to buy the John Deere ignitor (AM132770) $78.15. The ignitor arrived and I put it on with no spark still. I then went back to Deere for an ignition switch (AM121084) $104.03. Put it on and nothing. Thought unlikely, but I returned to Deere thinking maybe a bad coil. I made the purchase of another coil (AM121820) for a mere $95.16 with the same results of no spark. Well now that I'm $447.50 in this bad boy and love the tractor I can't convince myself to buy a new one. Last year I replaced all the Hydro pulleys, arms, and belt instead of buying a new one because it ran so good. I replaced and bought a new spark plug boot. I pulled the flywheel to check for a sheared key which it was fine. Under the flywheel was packed with grass and dirt. I cleaned the flywheel and inspected the magnets which were like new. I cleaned the the stator and checked the wiring for cracks which may be grounding out and all were fine. I've been everywhere on this tractor and can't find the source of the no spark issue. After cleaning under the flywheel I did notice when I cranked the tractor over, when I released the key I got a couple crisp blue snaps from the spark plug. I placed a spark plug tester in line and cranked it over with the tester showing a very dim pulse and when I released the key the bulb went bright for a pulse or two. Same thing every time I tried it. After I went into the house I began to check the John Deere web site on line. After doing a parts comparison I noticed that every part matched my model of tractor except one, the coil. The coil that was sold to me by the dealer was (AM121820) for $95.16. This coil seemed to go with the (FC420V-DS10, ES10) tractors. After looking it over I noticed my tractor called for (AM109209) for $64.57 on (FC420V-AS10, BS10). Could this be my whole problem, I was given the wrong coil from the start ? The next day after work I rushed home and picked up a coil and receipt. I returned to the dealer to see if they could get the other coil in so that I could try to see if it solved my ongoing problem. A service tech was there and when I explained to them what I had found, he asked if I placed the coil on the correct way. I told him that the coil only has enough wire to go one way. He told me that its either the coil or the stator. The tech asked if I checked the the stator for its condition and the magnets under the flywheel. I told him I cleaned and checked the both the stator and flywheel were both fine. The magnets were solid and intact and the stator showed no signs of cracks or wear really. The dealership told me they would contact me when the other coil arrived. I hope the coil is the answer to my problem so I can get this mower back on the lawn. What do you guys think about the coil being the possible issue. Also if not the coil do you think the stator could be the problem. It doesn't seem to have any charging issues and always kept the battery up. I even replaced and put a new battery.

JD185

Threads
I have a JD 185 with a Kawasaki 17hp FC540V engine that sounds like the same issue. New coil this spring and has run great all summer, but has recently started just cutting out, and is losing spark sporadically. Sometimes it immediately will fire back up, and sometimes it doesn't. So I was thinking that maybe it was overheating somehow, until it recently did it after 10 minutes of running, so Im kinda ruling that out. It has been more humid lately, so Im thinking that may be playing a role with something electronic. All safety switches seem to be working. What else is there aside from the coil and ignitor that could be causing this? A simple search of this issue seems to net a lot of people reporting the same issue, with little to no answers, seems odd to me. Would the stator cause an issue like this? To the original poster of this thread, I also was given a coil that didn't match up per the book as well, but was told that the Part numbers had changed. That, and the coil has worked like a champ for 4-5 months now and did at least look identical to the old one.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
After cleaning under the flywheel I did notice when I cranked the tractor over, when I released the key I got a couple crisp blue snaps from the spark plug. I placed a spark plug tester in line and cranked it over with the tester showing a very dim pulse and when I released the key the bulb went bright for a pulse or two. Same thing every time I tried it.

I think the key is here somewhere...... Can you turn the key to the on position, then with an old screwdriver/wire, jump your starter directly, crank over your engine that way and see what happens?

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Also, take a voltmeter and check for voltage at the small terminal on the coil with the key turned to all of its positions, you should not read any.

cummins600seriesdiesel

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a JD 185 with a Kawasaki 17hp FC540V engine that sounds like the same issue. New coil this spring and has run great all summer, but has recently started just cutting out, and is losing spark sporadically. Sometimes it immediately will fire back up, and sometimes it doesn't. So I was thinking that maybe it was overheating somehow, until it recently did it after 10 minutes of running, so Im kinda ruling that out. It has been more humid lately, so Im thinking that may be playing a role with something electronic. All safety switches seem to be working. What else is there aside from the coil and ignitor that could be causing this? A simple search of this issue seems to net a lot of people reporting the same issue, with little to no answers, seems odd to me. Would the stator cause an issue like this? To the original poster of this thread, I also was given a coil that didn't match up per the book as well, but was told that the Part numbers had changed. That, and the coil has worked like a champ for 4-5 months now and did at least look identical to the old one.

Yeah, my problem seemed 100% coil related to me when it happened. No real warning other than at times when it was warm after running it wouldn't start after shutting off. If I came back later and hit the key it fired up. I did go to the local repair shop the other day and spoke with the owner who I worked with at another job back in the day. I told him what it was doing and that I received two wrong coils from Deere that went to another tractor. I know the coil mine calls for is still a current number and part. After explaining it to him he stated he has had that happen in his shop before and said that is what the problem is. So I'm going today to see if it arrived so I can install it tonight and try it. Nice thing about it was he checked his inventory to see if he already had one on the shelf to let me take home to try. He asked me why I never just brought him the tractor to repair in the first place. I told him that I have diesel trucks, tractors, and build emergency vehicles with all that wiring and couldn't bring myself to accept I've been beaten by a lawn tractor. Haha

JD185

Threads
I think the key is here somewhere...... Can you turn the key to the on position, then with an old screwdriver/wire, jump your starter directly, crank over your engine that way and see what happens?

Would this be to bypass the key/switch to make sure that isn't the issue? If that was bad or going bad, would that cause the engine to quit during midmowing? Its worth a shot, I will try this, but think its best to try it once the engine does actually cut out and not want to refire when there is no spark present.

JD185

Threads
Update for me. Today, It started right up, and I mowed the front with no issues whatsoever. Let it set for a while, and then mowed the back. It cut out at 3 different points. Never refired immediately, but all 3 times, refired withing 4-5 different key turns trying. Its a pretty obvious sound when its turning over and there is no spark. Then all of the sudden, it fires right up. Today was dry and hot. The previous times with the issue of it not restarting for hours, it was quite humid out.

Has the LX176 ever run without issue with these "new coils"? I would be Steaming if I had spent @$500 in coils that I assume are non returnable, just to find out they were selling me the wrong one. I know my John Deere store would not take them back, as with my previous issue, it was more of a guess that buying a new coil would do the trick and they said absolutely no returns if it didn't. Please keep this updated with anything you find out! Im at a loss as of now.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Do the voltage reading test I mentioned earlier, if you find any voltage, that is likely the culprit. DC voltage.

JD185

Threads
Do the voltage reading test I mentioned earlier, if you find any voltage, that is likely the culprit. DC voltage.

Ok, will give it a shot hopefully tomorrow. If I need another coil again, It might be time for me to just buy a new mower. Im not into buying new coils every couple of months. Could there be a deeper issue that would cause a new coil to go bad within months???