scag tigar cub won't start

UJONESN

Forum Newbie
Threads
Scag will not start. It's not even trying. I replaced the battery and starter. It still will not start. My son hooked a battery charger up to it (backwards)last night. What did this do to my scag?? Thats why I replaced the battery. Any ideas?

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
I'm going to bite... why did you replace the starter?

I might understand why you replaced the battery (if it is destroyed)...
But you are not giving many clues as to what your initial problem might be...
Reversing the charger to the battery (MAY) have smoked the charging system, and it (MAY) have destroyed the battery. But that would not have done anything to the starter...

I Need more clues, I guess.. :smile:KennyV
BTW ... Welcome to the forum... Scag ,makes a pretty good machine....

UJONESN

Forum Newbie
Threads
It will not start, no power, nothing. It also got rained on Monday pretty good. I usually take it to the shop when needed but not this time. I would like to try and fix it to save money. So any help would be greatly appreciated. model: stc48a-19ka s/n:8402894. I also replaced ignition switch

Last edited:

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
It will not smart, it will not do anything. It also got rained on Monday pretty good. I usually take it to the shop when needed but not this time. I would like to try and fix it to save money. So any help would be greatly appreciated. model: stc48a-19ka s/n:8402894.

With a full charged battery, what happens if you, carefully,apply 12 volts to the (small) terminal on the starter solenoid? :smile:KennyV

UJONESN

Forum Newbie
Threads
it tryed to start and hummmmmm'd like it wanted to but...

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Here is a Wiring Diagram...
Parts and Diagrams for Scag STC48A-19KA Tiger Cub (S/N A4800001-A4899999)
Looks like you have at least 3 safety interlock switches, one on the left neutral, one on the right neutral and one on the brake... Plus the pto that also has an operator present switch in the seat... If it is a interlock switch it should be easy to track the problem down... :smile:KennyV

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
it tryed to start and hummmmmm'd like it wanted to but...

Are you saying the starter is humming or the solenoid ? :smile:KennyV

Last edited:

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
BTW...
If you are trouble shooting by jumping across the safety interlocks, be sure the left & right side are in neutral and the brake is set PLUS the PTO switch is in the OFF position...
What engine is on yours? I see there are 3 Engine adapter harness to choose from... :smile:KennyV

Last edited:

UJONESN

Forum Newbie
Threads
I DID THE 3 SWITCHES, GOING TO TRY THE operator present switch IN THE MORNING. THANKS 4 YOUR HELP. HOPE YOUR HERE TO GO FURTHER IF ITS NOT THE ....operator present switch

UJONESN

Forum Newbie
Threads
IT WAS THE THE CHARGING SYSTEM, IF ONLY I FOUND THIS SITE BEFORE I WASTED MY TIME. BUT THANKS BUT NOW THERE IS ANOTHER PROBLEM. IT RAN GREAT FOR 5 OF MY YARDS BUT NOW IT IS BACKFIRING AND WON'T STAY STARTED.