Baby birds

mamaA

Threads
I saw a male Cardinal in one of my butterfly bushes yesterday. I looked closer and saw a nest with 4 baby birds inside. It will be fun watching them grow and finally leave the nest. I put some sunflower seeds in a feeder close by.

Zeroturn

Threads
We have 2 nests that the birds have had babies in. 1 nest the birds are gone already (we checked yesterday). I hope something did not eat them. The other nest the babies are still in there.

rekees

Threads
We have a nest of baby phoebes under our 2nd story deck. Momma comes back every year to same spot. They are a joy. Every time they chirp their tails bounce and they eat loads of mosquitoes. :thumbsup:

ReggieDeere

Threads
That's great, I just hope squirrels don't steal the food out of the feeder. Unfortunately they're notorious for doing that. A male cardinal?? Why was a male cardinal in a nest with baby birds?

I saw a male Cardinal in one of my butterfly bushes yesterday. I looked closer and saw a nest with 4 baby birds inside. It will be fun watching them grow and finally leave the nest. I put some sunflower seeds in a feeder close by.

mamaA

Threads
The male and female birds were both in and out of the bush the last few days. Male Cardinals help tend to the babies. We've had them at our feeders with mama and daddy and babies in the past.

Sadly, the babies have flown the coop... :frown:

BlueGrass

Threads
The only "wildlife" we had was a nest of robins and some toad tadpoles in our pond. The birds were in our birch tree and I didn't know they were there until momma flew down at me. They are gone now but I love seeing the babies grow.

JimmyWeb

Threads
That's very interesting to know, as most males in nature usually don't hang around to meet the kids. Penguins were the only ones that I knew about. I guess it's a bird thing!:wink:

The male and female birds were both in and out of the bush the last few days. Male Cardinals help tend to the babies. We've had them at our feeders with mama and daddy and babies in the past.

Sadly, the babies have flown the coop... :frown:

mamaA

Threads
I have been on the look out for the babies but haven't seen them since they left the nest. I do think it's cool that the daddy helps out. :thumbsup: Cardinal females are very lucky to have them!

mystreba

Threads
Cardinals are actually quite fascinating - the male will feed the female. These male birds land on my feeder, pick up a sunflower chip and take it to the female. Also, the females will bang themselves against my window - not hard, just kind of flitting at it and pecking it. What's fascinating is that the male will perch and watch the females do this.