My riding mower died on me when I was cutting the grass.

hoopstar

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / My riding mower died on me when I was cutting the grass.
I got the mower up and running yesterday and I just started with the blades. I was going down a hill, that i have done the past few years. It sounded like I ran something over but I didnt see anything and then my mower died. It won't start but it goes chug chug chug then sounds like the engine scrapss..I changed the spark plug, oil filer, air filter and it still won't b e anything. Could it be a fuel filter or fuel line?... Any advice, I tried to look at the blades nothing seems to be holding the blades back.. Its a 2009 Craftsman 19.5 hp gold riding lawn mower. Never had any issues with it till now.

messengerslawn

Forum Newbie
Threads
It's hard to say without being there to see and hear what's happening in person. You might try calling a Craftsman dealer that does service and see if they'll give you any pointers. I'd google search it and just give a few places a call (doesn't have to be near you) until one gives you advice without trying to get you to bring it in.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

mystreba

Threads
I got the mower up and running yesterday and I just started with the blades. I was going down a hill, that i have done the past few years. It sounded like I ran something over but I didnt see anything and then my mower died. It won't start but it goes chug chug chug then sounds like the engine scrapss..I changed the spark plug, oil filer, air filter and it still won't b e anything. Could it be a fuel filter or fuel line?... Any advice, I tried to look at the blades nothing seems to be holding the blades back.. Its a 2009 Craftsman 19.5 hp gold riding lawn mower. Never had any issues with it till now.

Did the warranty just run out? I thought Craftsman tractors came with 2-year warranties.

What motor does it have - B&S or Kohler Courage? Was it showing any symptoms prior to the event - like white smoke discharge, difficulty starting, knocking and/or backfiring, etc?

CajunCub

Threads
Pull the spark plug out, check for compression....then spark at the plug.....then post again, I will be watching to follow back up.

rmancini

Threads
Sorry for the late entry-
Could you have sheared the key which allowed the motor to jump time? Might explain the "chug -Chug".
Rich

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
I could be totally off base here, but it sounds definately like you blew the engine - based on the sounds you described. My neghbor did just what you're talking about - sounded like he hit a stump, then the engine stopped. Never ran again. Blew it sky high.......

fastback

Threads
It sounds like you blew the engine to me also. I'm interested in finding out what engine and model you have ie; B&S or Kohler. I have read that they have been having problems with some models. A compression test is the best way to find out. If you don't have a tester pull the spark plug and place your finger or thumb over the hole and turn it over if your finger gets pushed off the hole due to compression its a good sign.