What oil to use?

Giles

Threads
I recently bought a Gravely G16 with 325 hours. PO stated he used Mobil 1 full synthetic since new.
I would normally use petrolum based oil like Straight HD 30W, but in this case, I will not change to regular oil.
Since Kohler doesn't even recommend synthetic, I am wondering what weight is used by some of you.
I cannot find Mobil 1 30W.
Mower is seldom used in winter here in NW Alabama.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
You can get Mobil1 in straight wt 30, but it is not commonly used so will be hard to find & I have not came across it in small containers ever.
I use to run Mobil1 Turbo Diesel in everything, all gasoline and diesel engines... I have switched to Shell Rotella T6 5w40 a few years ago and Love it... I have ran synthetic in Kohler for decades... better heat handling, stick with synthetic. :smile:KennyV

jd335

Threads
the best oil i ever used for small engines was optimol but can't find it no more so for the past 8 years i have used 10w30 john deere oil in all my small engines except my push mower witch is 18 years old i use 30 w briggs& stratton in it hope this helps

indypower

Threads
You can use any brand synthetic. Straight 30 is hard to find in synthetic, but it is available. AMSOIL has it.

noma

Threads
Hi Giles

Yes i also use 30 w Briggs and strattion oil in my small engines to the newer briggs engine that i have its a 08 els briggs and filter are briggs to

steved

Threads
For all intents and purposes, an Xw30 is a 30 weight oil. 0w30, 5w30, and 10w30 are all 30 weights at operating temperature. Don't stress about finding a SAE30, just buy some 10W30 Mobil to keep the same brand.

The newer Kohlers DO have recommendations on synthetics, and they recommend the same weights and drain intervals as the conventionals. Interesting enough, they recommend anything from a 5w30 to a 15w40 (depending on the piece of equipment).

I have read that the newer automotive oils have been reformulated for the newer cars with roller cams...they supposedly do not protect flat tappets as well as the previous formulations.

Personally, I used 15w40 Rotella in my K-series Kohlers for a long time with good results...I now have switched everything over to 5w40 Schaeffers, mainly to have a single oil on the shelf (of which I have almost 20 gallons sitting there!!).

The main thing with OPE is to actually change the oil!

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
For all intents and purposes, an Xw30 is a 30 weight oil. 0w30, 5w30, and 10w30 are all 30 weights at operating temperature.

You are correct ...
There are too many people that do not try to understand oil, let alone viscosity ...
right about the removal of zinc and phosphorus, but I guess it was a necessary change...
changing the oil is key to engine life... and even that is 'usually' over done, or never done. :smile:KennyV

rer

Threads
I use used powerstroke diesel oil from the 7.3l.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
I use used powerstroke diesel oil from the 7.3l.

Yep... a diesel rated oil will have better extreme pressure properties & other goos additives thats why I run Rotella T6 in everything... :smile:KennyV

Giles

Threads
For all intents and purposes, an Xw30 is a 30 weight oil. 0w30, 5w30, and 10w30 are all 30 weights at operating temperature. Don't stress about finding a SAE30, just buy some 10W30 Mobil to keep the same brand.

The newer Kohlers DO have recommendations on synthetics, and they recommend the same weights and drain intervals as the conventionals. Interesting enough, they recommend anything from a 5w30 to a 15w40 (depending on the piece of equipment).

I have read that the newer automotive oils have been reformulated for the newer cars with roller cams...they supposedly do not protect flat tappets as well as the previous formulations.

Personally, I used 15w40 Rotella in my K-series Kohlers for a long time with good results...I now have switched everything over to 5w40 Schaeffers, mainly to have a single oil on the shelf (of which I have almost 20 gallons sitting there!!).

This is an older mower with Koher 16HP twin engine. Kohler states that they recommend a 30W high detergent for all temperature. They further state that a given multi-grade oil can be used with operating temperatures up to 40 degrees only????????? They claim it will increase oil consumption and can cause engine deposits.
If I am understanding this --IT DOES NO MAKE SENSE!!
Kohler does not mention synthetic oil for this engine.
Opinions are welcome