Troubleshooting an Echo chain saw

Papaw50

Threads
I'm working on a 14" Echo chain saw that someone had thrown away.

I discovered after almost complete disassemble that the reason it was locked up was because the flywheel had crashed into the magneto.

I finally got it all put back together, but it won't run.
It has good spark, it has good compression, and the carb looked very clean.
I can't get the fuel to ignite.
I even removed the plug, and put some fuel right into the cylinder, and nothing???
I removed the muffler, and still nothing.

Now I'm wondering, did I put the piston in backwards?
Perhaps it has compression, but not at the right time?

Does it sound like that could be the problem?

Thanks,
Gary

Papaw50

Threads
Bumb,
Has anyone experienced something like this before?

Would putting the piston in backward create such a problem?

I removed the muffler to see the piston action, but couldn't tell by looking thru such a small hole.

Do I have to remove the cylinder, and if so, how does the piston orient to the intake port and or exhaust port? Are there markings, relief spaces on top?

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Echo is a great chain saw... I've had one for a lot of years... But I have never had the occasion to take it apart to the point you have... I don't follow what you are referring to about the piston being backwards??

Hope someone may have an Idea whats up... :smile:KennyV

Papaw50

Threads
While trying to find the problem with the locked up flywheel, I thought I would have to remove the clutch. It was attached to the crankshaft, which holds the piston as well. In that effort, I removed the piston from the rod, without paying attantion to it's orientation. After that, I discovered the real problem, fixed that, but now I wonder can the piston be put in backwards? As in rotated 180 degrees from where it should be?

Thanks for the feedback, and I'll post back if I can solve the problem.

Gary

Papaw50

Threads
I did find the answer.

I found a DOnyboy73 video on You Tube, where he is rebuilding a piston on a Husqvarna chain saw.

He shows that there is an arrow on top of the piston, and that arrow is supposed to point toward the exhaust port.

I will hopefully tear that back down tomorrow, and perhaps I can post back that it is fixed.

Gary

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Gary.. Great, YouTube has almost EveryThing...
While you have it apart... click some pictures while you can... let some of us see the insides that don't get exposed to sunlight often... :smile::smile:KennyV

Opposed twin

Threads
Donboy73 has a video series on this chainsaw and one has a piston rebuild on utube hope this helps

Berniep

Threads
If the piston is reversed then that is definitely the problem. On a two stroke the piston acts as the valve for letting in duel/air and letting out exhaust. If it is backwards the ports in the cylinder wall won't line up right on the piston.

Papaw50

Threads
Here are a few pics.

I re-installed the piston, but couldn't see any arrow, and couldn't tell one end from the other.

I reversed the pistons orientation from my previous install; re-assembled it, but now it has kickback, as though key is bad on the flywheel.

I'll have to tear it back apart, at least the flywheel.

Well, at least I'm gaining experience........

Gary

Attachments

• DSC00001.JPG
    DSC00001.JPG
    86 KB · Views: 24
  • DSC00002.JPG
    DSC00002.JPG
    92.7 KB · Views: 24
  • DSC00003.JPG
    DSC00003.JPG
    88.2 KB · Views: 20

Berniep

Threads
That piston looks pretty symmetrical. It may not matter how it goes in. Keep plugging away at it. You will get it. A two stroke is a very simple engine.