11hp briggs hard to start

pmcconv

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have an 11hp briggs vert shaft pull start on a snapper that is hard to pull start, like out of time or valves out of adj. It is not an ohv motor, and I chkd key way and it looks good on flywheel. Customer says it has been hard to pull , but runs good once started. Local shop said it is trying to seize up. any help would be much appreciated.

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have an 11hp briggs vert shaft pull start on a snapper that is hard to pull start, like out of time or valves out of adj. It is not an ohv motor, and I chkd key way and it looks good on flywheel. Customer says it has been hard to pull , but runs good once started. Local shop said it is trying to seize up. any help would be much appreciated.

THAT is consise to the point of being choppy, but I like your direct approach.

Welcome, and come back often.

A flathead 11 horse is a hard beach to start w/ recoil to begin with. Why Snapper ever spec'd out a manual start option, I'll never know. I do not believe there is any compression release on a flathead. Change the oil, and see if it loosens up, is my advice (you can't adjust the valves on a flathead like an OHV, as far as I know....the shop might've told you that). If you have already, the shop is probably right, sad to say.....

Also might wanna check the recoil assy itself. It might seem to pull fine w/o load, but check for slop/binding.....under a heavy load like an 11horse....it might be sticking enough to cause a problem pulling it.

Briana

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hello, I have moved your post to the Small Engine & Mower Repair Forum. You will have better luck finding assistance there. :wink:

Thanks for joining LawnMowerForum!!!