Lazer Z CT dies when PTO engaged

allenb4473

Threads
My 52" Lazer Z CT dies every 5 min or so while cutting grass unless I slap the PTO switch really quickly....in which case it runs fine. I assume this has something to do with the seat switch or tilt sensor, but I couldn't figure out where that is.

I did find a plug near the parking brake, 2 pins. I made a jumper out of a paperclip and electrical tape. It made a click as if something engaged but it didn't solve my problem. It still tried to stall several times while mowing the lawn.

Can someone point me in the right direction to troubleshoot this one? Where can I find the seat and tilt switches? Any idea what I jumped with the paperclip? Where can I buy or download a service manual?

Serial 4709xx with a 19hp Kawasaki if its relevant.

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
http://www.exmark.com/pdfs/4500-130.pdf Purchase an inexpensive multimeter tool at sears,etc. and print out a copy of electrical schematic page 40 to have on hand. More often than not it's not the pto switch, a good majority of folks think by changing the switch it will work, not so. Hands on, check wires and connection at clutch on engine, wiring looks ok or broken, insulation missing on wires, connection tight? Use multimeter to check for good or bad clutch. Also your clutch air gap needs to be checked and adjusted if necessary per manual, correction, page 34 says no adjustment necessary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aN2Q9G3Wq-M
Errorclick anyway

Last edited:

allenb4473

Threads
Thanks for the reply, but I dont think its the clutch in this case. The PTO engages just fine. The engine just dies randomly unless I hurry and cut off the PTO.

Bicklebok

Threads
Check all your wires carefully, including the ground wire that bolts where the engine connects to the frame. I doubt it will be your problem, but thats what happened with mine. For some reason the bolts that hold the engine to the frame were loose. When I engaged the PTO it would start to run bad. The engine obviously would move when the PTO was engaged and cause the ground wire to be loose where it connects to the frame. I had checked that wire previously and it seemed ok. But once I pushed on the engine, it was obvious what was happening.

I know its a long shot, but easy to check and rule out.

allenb4473

Threads
Good suggestion. I'll check on that.

What Id really like to know is how to bypass safetys...but that seems to be a taboo subject here from what I've gathered. From reading around, I think I know HOW to do it...just not where the switches are located. I'll probably be able to figure it all out when I have longer than 5 min to glance at it.

Bicklebok

Threads
Good luck! Let us know what you find out. I inherited my Exmark from my dad and I have had to constantly work on it since day 1. It had been abused and everything that can tear up on it has tore up. I was cutting the other day and the deck swing arm fell off.

allenb4473

Threads
According to this diagram, a jumper from Tan to Lt Blue should do away with all that for good

eXdIAGRAM.jpg

mulder65

Forum Newbie
Threads
New to this forum......and need help with what I'm 80% sure is some kind of tilt sensor.
I'm on a 2009 Exmark Lazer Z HP 523, and the engine ONLY stalls when I turn hard to the left.
I've already bypassed my 1 single seat sensor, so it has to be a tilt sensor, but danged if I can find it.

HELP!!

mulder65

Forum Newbie
Threads
Well, interestingly enough, I had to replace my battery today after 4 years. Now my mower will NOT stall when turning left......so maybe I couldn't find a "tilt sensor" on my machine because there isn't one, and the low battery somehow was causing it.

Who'd a thunk it!!
thanks