Hustler Pro: Tension Pulley/Belt Problem

Cornerjunky

Forum Newbie
Threads
New to the site, so be gentle. I have a Hustler Sport and have been having problems with the tension pulley. Recently the lower lip of the pulley failed and I simply replaced it with a new one.

During the replacement of the pulley, I noticed that the belt wanted to ride at the very bottom of the tension pulley with the deck set to 2.5 inches. The situation worsens as the deck is raised to higher positions. I think this is what lead to the tension pulley failure that recently occurred.

I checked the parts manual to make sure the any washers are in the right place...and they are. If I look at the height of the idler pulley with respect to the adjacent idler pulleys, it (the tension pulley) appears to be higher by approx 1/4 inch, which explains why the belt wants to ride so low on the pulley. Since the hardware looks correct, (washers, etc), it actually looks like the tension pulley slider places positions the tension pulley too high on the deck. I can't seem to figure out why it is that way.

Recently I removed the thick washer from below the pulley just keep the belt from riding so low. That helped by approx .10 inches, but I really would like to figure out what is going on and I am out of ideas at the moment.

Just for fun, I have leveled the deck (twice now) but it really was very close to start with.

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Last edited:

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Welcome to this growing Forum...
Good to see a Hustler added. They are among my favorite...
I'm more into the Industrial line, I'm not that familiar with the Sport. What deck do you have... I have a friend that has several models of the smaller machines, I'll look at those decks to see if I can spot what you are describing.... do you have a picture of this pulley belt lay out?? ...:smile:KennyV

Cornerjunky

Forum Newbie
Threads
Good to hear from you Kenny. I have a 42" deck (forward swept). I have tried to capture an image from the parts manual, but no luck so far.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
This is someone you might ask ... he is Pj, THE Hustler Turf Equipment Representative...
mowerconsultant@hustlerturf.com
He is generally right on top of any issues on the full line... If he does not have the answer, he will know someone there that has it... :smile:KennyV

Cornerjunky

Forum Newbie
Threads
I sent an email to PJ early this week. He asked for a few details and I am waiting to hear back.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Great ... If there is any 'known' problem or update 'fix' he will be aware of it...
:smile:KennyV

Briana

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hello, I moved your thread to the NEW HUSTLER FORUM. :biggrin:

Threads
Ha Ha Ha. Today is a great day as last weekend I finally fixed my Hustler belt problem. As stated by a number of other writers There is a problem wth the pulley heights. Why Hustler won't come clean I don't know. Mine is a 42 inch cut Mini Z. I removed the deck about 1 hr to do. Next loosen allen head bolts, and pull belt tensioner slide forward, and remove. Undo pulley wheel mounting bolt and take to your local machine shop and ask that they cut half an inch off the pully mount. Could probably done with an angle grinder but I was worried I may damage internal thread. This cost me $25. Reinstall and refit deck and drive belt. I have tested mower on all height settings many, many times now without any further dramas. David Brown Australia.