HRR216K9VKA - Rusty drive shaft

steve217

Forum Newbie
Threads
My brand new Honda (HRR216K9VKA) has rust on the drive shaft.

I used it for the first time three weeks ago - 5 days later, I hosed off the underside and scrubbed off the grass and dirt with a nylon brush. I then wiped off the excess water and let the sun dry it for an hour or so. I then rolled the mower back into the outdoor shed.

Yesterday, I mowed again (30 minute chore on my property). Today, I wheeled out the mower to clean it again and I noticed on the drive shaft a set of rust spots.

Is this normal? I thought I was being pretty careful with my new pride and joy but obviously, some water pooled from the last time I hosed it off and dripped on the drive shaft.

Tell me if I'm being paranoid or if I should take the mower back.

Steve
Screen Shot 2014-07-14 at 9.27.03 PM.pngScreen Shot 2014-07-14 at 9.26.26 PM.png

charley95

Threads
I wouldn't be too concerned,it is just surface rust. I doubt it will ever rust all the way through. You could take a scotchbrite pad and clean it up and spray clear coat it.

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Use a leaf blower on mower, water and mowers/tractors don't mix well. Major engine, transmission drive, & electrical problems will occur over a period of time. Pick up a spray can of Liquid Wrench brand lubricating oil and spray driveshaft down.

charley95

Threads
Just noticed today when cleaning the underside of mine that my driveshaft has surface rust too. I have never used water to clean mine. Rust builds character, I'm not worried about it.

steve217

Forum Newbie
Threads
Use a leaf blower on mower, water and mowers/tractors don't mix well. Major engine, transmission drive, & electrical problems will occur over a period of time. Pick up a spray can of Liquid Wrench brand lubricating oil and spray driveshaft down.

That's a good idea. Will do.