help with Raptor Gas leak

tambo

Forum Newbie
Threads
I noticed yesterday when I filled my mower up there was a fuel leak at the fuel evaporation filter. It is the filter attached to the bottom of a tee fitting. It is a regular looking inline gas filter but nothing is attached to the bottom of the filter. Anyone have this problem or know anything about it?

MRCo.

Threads
The filter is not supposed to have anything attached, it's the outlet point. The T fitting also connects to two outlets on the top of the fuel tank, one at each end on specific high point, and one on the carb. Ideas on the issue....

1. Don't put as much gas in, it may be expanding due to umber heat, pushing out the tank fittings.

2. Gas cap vent not working, again tank pressure goes up in ambient or engine made heat, pushing out tank fittings.

3. Fuel bypassing in the carb, flowing to T and out. New needle and seat for the carb, maybe bad float. Running issues would likely be present too though.

MRCo.

Threads
Welcome, good luck.

Randy B

Forum Newbie
Threads
Purchased my Raptor SD last spring, had the same problem immediately. Called dealer who said basically the same thing: "No known issues; If it's running fine I'm just filling the tank too high". Even at 3/4 tank (just starting at the filler neck) it still seems to drain fuel-at least occasionally. Engine always seems to start, idle and run fine. I will see a dead spot in a couple days at wherever we paused while mowing, and have witnessed fuel dripping from this filter after stopping.
This tractor drinks 3x what my 16HP craftsman did before it, I wonder if I'm just watering the lawn with a lot of the gas instead of burning it.
With high fire danger in my area this spring and my son now using the mower, I am more than a little concerned.

MRCo.

Threads
If your lawn isn't sloped so the gas gets in the vents in the tanks, the gas has to be feeding back in from the carb. Look there for issues.

mhavanti

Threads
Resolution to the overfilling of the fuel tank.

Simply add about 12 inches (or more as needed) of quarter inch fuel line to the bottom of the overflow filter (actually another fuel filter) and pull the open end up to so that the end of the hose is above the fuel filler opening in the gasoline tank and secure the end to the body of the machine so it doesn't fall over or slide downwards allowing fuel on any hot pieces and then you can fill the fuel all the way up to the filler cap although I would not recommend that. I recommend that the end of your fuel ventilation hose is not open so that rain or washing will put water into your hose. You can actually make a 180 degree turn in the hose with plastic fittings to keep the water out of the system.

It will just keep fuel from running out until you can get the extra fuel used up while mowing. Do not allow the mower to sit with the extra fuel in it between mowing.

Scythe

Threads
A video that 577 Jersey posted back in May covered this, he has a few other modifications so I thought I would add the video

Gf101

Forum Newbie
Threads
My leak is coming from the evaporator hose out of the top the tank under the throttle handle, opposite the filler neck. it seems to be siphoning out of the tank.

mhavanti

Threads
Gf101,

That is usually from over filling the fuel tank with a stock height fuel vapor ventilation hose. If you lower the fuel level or raise the fuel vapor vent height, it should stop pushing fuel out of the tank at the fuel vapor fitting under the dash.

Make sure you try lowering your fuel level to the factory suggested level before doing any modifications of any kind to see if the push goes away.

If at that time the fuel push has ceased, then you are free to modify the fuel vapor ventilation. There is a gain in fuel capacity if you do raise the ventilation level which allows me to cut an acre 4 times now rather than twice as the original design.

Remember, any modifications you do to your machine is your responsibility and not from our suggestion that you make modifications. I made the modification for testing purposes only.

That will show you the testing I've done that works for me. You can try putting your fuel level where it belongs and check to make sure your fuel vapor vent filter isn't stopped up as well.

Raptor Fuel Evaporation System Filter Original Location Diagram.jpgDSC04898.JPGDSC04899.JPGDSC04900.JPGDSC04901.JPGDSC04902.JPGFuel Tank Ventilation Upgrade.jpgFuel Vent Hose Modification.jpg

Max

Last edited: