TimeMaster - Improved fuel capacity

parbor

Forum Newbie
Threads
At 1.2 quarts the fuel tank is definitely too small for a mower this size. I have to refuel at least twice to get the job done.

I thought about this many times and I finally made the improvement today. I used a 1 gallon Briggs & Stratton metal tank. The cross bars are attached to the handle with clamps (no holes drilled in handle) and the tank is attached to the cross bars with large hose clamps. I put rubber between all contact points on the tank.
The handle can be moved to the up or down positions without any interference.

When I clean under the deck I move the handle completely forward and lay the mower back on the handle. The new fuel tank does not interfere. In fact the back of the tank does not even touch the ground.

Now I need the grass to grow so I can try it out.

Mac

Thank you for the great write up. I'm going to install a similar design. I'm going to move the tank up higher on the handle bars so I still have access to add and remove the catcher bag. I need to suck the leaves up in the fall.

I'm thinking of the following:

1. 1/2 round rolled steel bar through the hole that now holds the knobs holding the two handlebar pieces together. This way I only need one bar and I can use the existing bar just above it.

2. Since it is a little higher up, I think the center of gravity will be moved. I'm going to add a little weight to the front so it stays balance.

3. I think this will add about 22 lbs including the weight of fuel. Hopefully the transmission isn't too upset about the change. I'm sure it will be ok on flat ground, but I already need to push a little on hills.

Thanks for the great idea. Every time I cut my grass I have to fill up 3 times. PITA.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Thank you for the great write up. I'm going to install a similar design. I'm going to move the tank up higher on the handle bars so I still have access to add and remove the catcher bag. I need to suck the leaves up in the fall.

I'm thinking of the following:

1. 1/2 round rolled steel bar through the hole that now holds the knobs holding the two handlebar pieces together. This way I only need one bar and I can use the existing bar just above it.

2. Since it is a little higher up, I think the center of gravity will be moved. I'm going to add a little weight to the front so it stays balance.

3. I think this will add about 22 lbs including the weight of fuel. Hopefully the transmission isn't too upset about the change. I'm sure it will be ok on flat ground, but I already need to push a little on hills.

Thanks for the great idea. Every time I cut my grass I have to fill up 3 times. PITA.

Hey Guys, the last time ( Mac in Pa ) was on the forum was JULY of 2014, I don't think he's listening ??

parbor

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hey Guys, the last time ( Mac in Pa ) was on the forum was JULY of 2014, I don't think he's listening ??

thanks, perhaps someone else will weigh in.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
thanks, perhaps someone else will weigh in.

Shame not to hear from him lately, he did a GREAT job on that tank installation, looks like a factory kit... !!

GalenaBob

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello Guys, I am brand new to this thread and I have a couple of questions that I hope you can answer for me... I want to add a second gas tank to my Toro TimeMaster as well. I get within a couple of rows of finishing my yard and the dang thing runs out of gas... So I am thinking a second gas tank makes total sense since I don't believe they make a larger tank (that I know of). I just purchased the 2019 electric start model btw.

1. Would I be able to drill a hole into the original gas tank and add a cut off valve with a rubber grommet and fuel line to the 2nd tank? Obviously the 2nd tank would be approximately 8" or so above the original tank. Would the new tank cause fuel to overflow out of the original tanks gas cap?

2. If so, could I just add a "T Connector" and have both gas tanks feed into the carburetor at the same time? Obviously one of them (the smaller of the two) would run out of fuel first. Would this cause the mower to malfunction in any way?

Thank you in advance for any assistance you can lend me with this project...

GalenaBob

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
What about installing a brass Y in the 1/4" line to feed fuel from both tanks? Probable need a shutoff on the smaller onboard tanks outlet due to gravity feeding from the upper 1 gal tank. So shut off the small tank and use as a reserve. Use the 1 gal as the main tank.

BTW the larger 1 gal tank looks factory. Nice install.

slomo

plucka

Forum Newbie
Threads
It looks to me this mod would be an issue with attaching the bag, with the bag flap fouling on the tank/bracket? I intend to do this mod myself but will instead mount it higher up the handle using the existing cross bar as the top support and adding a second support bar around about where the knobs are on the handle. I have two concerns though- 1. will it make the mower weight balance too far to the rear, and 2. raising the mower handle/and or tipping the mower up to clean will tip the new tank and spill fuel out the vent cap?