TimeMaster - Improved fuel capacity

Mac in PA

Threads
At 1.2 quarts the fuel tank is definitely too small for a mower this size. I have to refuel at least twice to get the job done.

I thought about this many times and I finally made the improvement today. I used a 1 gallon Briggs & Stratton metal tank. The cross bars are attached to the handle with clamps (no holes drilled in handle) and the tank is attached to the cross bars with large hose clamps. I put rubber between all contact points on the tank.
The handle can be moved to the up or down positions without any interference.

When I clean under the deck I move the handle completely forward and lay the mower back on the handle. The new fuel tank does not interfere. In fact the back of the tank does not even touch the ground.

Now I need the grass to grow so I can try it out.

Mac

Attachments

• HPIM4709R1.JPG
    HPIM4709R1.JPG
    164.6 KB · Views: 205
  • HPIM4708R1.JPG
    HPIM4708R1.JPG
    122.8 KB · Views: 164
  • HPIM4707R1.JPG
    HPIM4707R1.JPG
    120.5 KB · Views: 147
  • HPIM4706R1.JPG
    HPIM4706R1.JPG
    158.1 KB · Views: 162
  • HPIM4705R1.JPG
    HPIM4705R1.JPG
    160.7 KB · Views: 173

sjessen

Threads
Looks good.

If anyone asks what the extra tank is for you might tell them it is the oil cooler for the hydros.

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
I like it except I would have ran the hose through the oem gas tank cap. That way you also get the extra 1.2 qts of fuel :) then that had tank would feed the carb

Mac in PA

Threads
I like it except I would have ran the hose through the oem gas tank cap. That way you also get the extra 1.2 qts of fuel :) then that had tank would feed the carb

Good idea, except I'm not sure where the vent is in the OEM cap. Probably end up with gas all over the place. :confused2:

sjessen

Threads
Did you fabricate the crossbars or did they come with the tank?

Mac in PA

Threads
Did you fabricate the crossbars or did they come with the tank?

I made the cross bars using 3/16" X 1.25" flat iron. Both bars are identical, the bottom bar is flipped over so it lays flat under the tank. The clamps are mounts for motorcycle highway pegs.

The tank is the only thing I had to buy. The rest of the stuff I had laying around here. That's why it has a large fuel filter, it's what I happened to have.

Mac

zathras

Forum Newbie
Threads

Good idea, except I'm not sure where the vent is in the OEM cap. Probably end up with gas all over the place. :confused2:

I don't have a TimeMaster (yet, still thinking about it) but you don't have to worry about where the vent is in the cap.

Put an inline fuel shutoff on the line from the lower tank to the carb. This will prevent fuel from backing up from the upper tank and coming out the vent in the lower tank. When the upper tank runs dry, open the inline fuel shut off valve to use the fuel in the lower tank. Just like a reserve tank on a motorcycle. BUT remember to shut off the lower tank BEFORE refueling.

Oh, and Hello. 1st post.

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
I don't have a TimeMaster (yet, still thinking about it) but you don't have to worry about where the vent is in the cap.

Put an inline fuel shutoff on the line from the lower tank to the carb. This will prevent fuel from backing up from the upper tank and coming out the vent in the lower tank. When the upper tank runs dry, open the inline fuel shut off valve to use the fuel in the lower tank. Just like a reserve tank on a motorcycle. BUT remember to shut off the lower tank BEFORE refueling.

Oh, and Hello. 1st post.

Hello welcome. I like that idea but honestly the 1gallon gas tank should last nearly all day use lol

Mac in PA

Threads

Oh, and Hello. 1st post.

Hey zathras, I like the way you think .......... a lawn mower with a reserve gas tank :thumbsup:

gfp55

Threads
At 1.2 quarts the fuel tank is definitely too small for a mower this size. I have to refuel at least twice to get the job done.

I thought about this many times and I finally made the improvement today. I used a 1 gallon Briggs & Stratton metal tank. The cross bars are attached to the handle with clamps (no holes drilled in handle) and the tank is attached to the cross bars with large hose clamps. I put rubber between all contact points on the tank.
The handle can be moved to the up or down positions without any interference.

When I clean under the deck I move the handle completely forward and lay the mower back on the handle. The new fuel tank does not interfere. In fact the back of the tank does not even touch the ground.

Now I need the grass to grow so I can try it out.

Mac
Good thinking Mac. Looks safe, looks great, doesn't get in the way of any function and good use of available parts, plus it has just enough chrome but thats just me. Fine work Mac...