Hustler Raptor SD fuel question

Ddog823

Forum Newbie
Threads
I just purchased a new Hustler Raptor SD 54", it should be delivered this week. Had a question about the fuel to use in the mower. This will be my first new machine and I am not sure what octane gas I should be using and if I need to treat the fuel in any way before running the unit. Any input on this will be much appreciated. This is a big step up from my 1979 John Deere 316 and don't want to mess up the Raptor right out of the gate.

MPW1216

Threads
regular unleaded 87 octane is fine and is outlined in your manual. I run 89 in mine only because I buy for my Stihl products. As for treating your fuel, I always put stabil in all of my yard equiptment gas. It is a cheap bit of insurance.

Hope you enjoy your RSD. I have had mine since April and have loved it so far! :thumbsup: Cheers!

MPW

RetiredGuns

Threads
Garden variety "regular" gas with no more than 10% corn squeezins. Almost impossible to find completely ethanol free gas. No need to spend the extra dough on premium either as I am sure the manufacturer knows what they are putting in the manual.

I also like a bit a Stabil now & then...

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
I just purchased a new Hustler Raptor SD 54", it should be delivered this week. Had a question about the fuel to use in the mower. This will be my first new machine and I am not sure what octane gas I should be using and if I need to treat the fuel in any way before running the unit. Any input on this will be much appreciated. This is a big step up from my 1979 John Deere 316 and don't want to mess up the Raptor right out of the gate.

You can run what ever you want. I use 93 octane in everything, mowers, all hand held equipment and I've never used any stabil or any of that stuff in my gas. It's a waste of money for me.

RetiredGuns

Threads
You can run what ever you want. I use 93 octane in everything, mowers, all hand held equipment and I've never used any stabil or any of that stuff in my gas. It's a waste of money for me.

I used 93 in my Bass boat it's entire life because the manual said so. I remember reading here somewhere that these small motors were tweaked for lower octane gas. Is that just a load of crap?

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
I used 93 in my Bass boat it's entire life because the manual said so. I remember reading here somewhere that these small motors were tweaked for lower octane gas. Is that just a load of crap?

I used 93 in my bass boat also because the manual said so. The octane rating of a gasoline is a measure of its resistance to knocking. Using a minimum of 87 octane by the antiknock index is recommended but you can use any octane which is higher. Every manufacturer is different, Stihl says run 89 or higher, Echo says 87 is fine for there **** Listen to your engine and it will tell you what it needs for gas, if it makes knocking noises or uses more gas than it should switch to a higher octane.

chevyrado14

Forum Newbie
Threads
i run reg. 87 octane mixed with the blue stabil in all my small enigines. havent had any problems.

Kremeneon

Threads
I use premium in all my small engines, but that's just me and low consumption. In the lawnboy 2 stroke motor I can tell a difference. premium also seems to store much longer. I treat everything with PRI-G and a little seafoam.

I'd use lower ratings if I was using a lot of fuel, as in mowing lawns professionally.

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads

I always recommend what has worked for me. Prior to ethanol introduction, I used 93 Octane Amoco Premium in "everything"(vehicles, boat and small engines). Since introduction of 10% ethanol, I use premium ethanol in my car and truck....but ONLY use 89-91 Octane Ethanol-free gas in my boat and small engine equipment. There are 68 gas stations listed for Illinois on the website below. You may be able to locate one near you that you didn't know about if you want to use it in your boat and Hustler!!!

Ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada

RetiredGuns

Threads
I always recommend what has worked for me. Prior to ethanol introduction, I used 93 Octane Amoco Premium in "everything"(vehicles, boat and small engines). Since introduction of 10% ethanol, I use premium ethanol in my car and truck....but ONLY use 89-91 Octane Ethanol-free gas in my boat and small engine equipment. There are 68 gas stations listed for Illinois on the website below. You may be able to locate one near you that you didn't know about if you want to use it in your boat and Hustler!!!

Ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada

Well that's a pisser. Closest station is an airport community 12 miles from me. They have 100 octane pure gas though!