2013 Craftsman Briggs & Stratton model 31P677 19.5 HP engine flooding cylinder

dpenniston

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / 2013 Craftsman Briggs & Stratton model 31P677 19.5 HP engine flooding cylinder
I have a 2013 Craftsman 19.5 HP with B&S model 31P677 engine (SN 12 0322 ZD 62769). Bought new over the winter and just started using it this summer. Probably mowed 10 to 15 times. About two weeks ago engine wouldn't crank so charged the battery, no luck. Long story short, after an internet search found that it had flooded the cylinder with fuel. Stopped fuel, pulled the plug and fuel poured out of the cylinder. Cleaned the outside of the carb (not inside), changed the oil, pulled the plug, cranked the engine to blow fuel out, put new plug in, started right up. Seemed to run fine for the day but when parked overnight, same issue, engine wouldn't crank, cylinder flooded.

Suggestions? Full carb cleaning, rebuild, something simple I hope.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
  • / 2013 Craftsman Briggs & Stratton model 31P677 19.5 HP engine flooding cylinder
Re: 2013 Craftsman Briggs & Stratton model 31P677 19.5 HP engine flooding cylinder

Need to remove, clean carb, and install new needle valve, or complete carb kit. Then change oil and filter if it has one.

dpenniston

Forum Newbie
Threads
Re: 2013 Craftsman Briggs & Stratton model 31P677 19.5 HP engine flooding cylinder

Need to remove, clean carb, and install new needle valve, or complete carb kit. Then change oil and filter if it has one.

Thanks, that's what I thought you might say. Is this a common issue with this engine/carb? For such a new tractor seems like it shouldn't have issues yet.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads

I just did a carb on a big block 30hp a couple of weeks ago because it would start leaking into the engine after running about 45 minutes. Total run time on the mower 5 hours. Some engines seem more prone to problems then others.

A few years ago I had a rider from the local TSC that they would sell, but would come back with a leaking carb. i would clean the carb, replace the fuel filter, remove and clean the tank and blow out the lines, because it would have sand in it. Return the mower to the store, somebody else would purchase it, but would come back a month later with sand in the tank and the carb again. this happen 4 times to four different customers. The last time it did it, I installed a finer fuel filter, and never had another problem with that mower.