Help--Kohler Command 12.5s Won't Start/ Runs Erratically

drivebywire

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Help--Kohler Command 12.5s Won't Start/ Runs Erratically
Hi,

I've got a Wheel Horse with a Kohler Command 12.5S that has been running well until recently. All of a sudden with no warning it would start to run rough and backfire through the carb and/or muffler. For a while I would wait for 10-15 minutes and it would start back up. Now it rarely starts. I've done the following:

1. Replaced the plug
2. Checked the fuel path from the bottom of the tank to the carb. doesn't appear to be blocked. Fuel comes out from the line at the carb.
3. Checked the spark with the plug in the hole. The spark isn't blueish white like I';m used to but it's always there.
4. Pulled the carb, cleaned it, and used compressed air on the various areas of the carb.
5. Checked the air gap between the coil and the flywheel.
6. Pulled the flywheel bolt. The key still seems to be in place.

I worked on it yesterday and today. I've noticed the both plugs are carboned on the tip from the small amount of running it does do. When I cleaned the carb I pulled the new plug and put the old one back in. Before I did that I cranked the engine to make sure there was no raw fuel in the cylinder. The air coming out of the plug hole was dry. I put the plug back in and with the blower cover off it started right up. I let it run for 30 seconds and shut it off, restarted it 5 more times and it ran perfectly.

I put the blower cover and air cleaner back on and tried to start it again. All I got was the same backfiring through the carb. :mad:

I would appreciate your help in trying to diagnose the problem.

Thanks in advance.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I would have the carb rebuilt, as it sound like you have a rich running condition.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Put up the model/spec. numbers so we know what you have.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
just curious, you mentioned "both" plugs??????

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Last edited:

drivebywire

Forum Newbie
Threads
Put up the model/spec. numbers so we know what you have.

It's a Kohler 12.5 Pro
Family: SKH398U162RA
Model: CH12.5S
Serial: 2903308681

The "both plugs" are the old one and new one.

After doing all the things I mentioned I had resigned myself to having to take it somewhere to get it fixed. Yesterday, I let it set for an hour. I got back on it and it started right up (mind you this was after 3 days of not starting). So with high grass I decided to start mowing. After about 10 minutes it quit again. Same symptoms (backfire through the carb and muffler) when I tried to start it. I got the other spark plug and with one still in the head I attached the other one to the plug wire and got quite a good spark. I reconnected the plug wire and still no start. Again I tested with the external plug and this time I got no spark at all. I'm reasonably sure I had it grounded properly.

After another 5 minutes I tried it again and it started right up. I mowed for another 20 minutes with no problem. I took another read on the plug and this time the carbon on the end of the plug was gone and it was clean (at least on the end).

The fact that it runs for 20 minutes would seem to eliminate a sheared key, valve adjustment, and maybe even carb (correct me if I'm wrong). This feels electrical but I'm not sure where or how to start testing.

I appreciate everyone's response so far. Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction to get this fixed.

Thanks!!

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Find another tag on the engine, and post the model/spec. numbers., thanks

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Yes it helps know what you have, but eliminates a few possible suspects.

Your engine has hydraulic lifters, so the valve adjustment is ruled out, there is no Smartspark, so that rules that out.
If it ran good without the shroud, it makes me think you might have a chafed wire in the kill circuit, or chafed wires in the harness
that may be feeding partial voltage to the coil. Just for test purposes, unplug the small kill wire at the coil, and put back together and do some mowing with care, as the only way you will be able to shut her down is by choking the carb out, or yanking off the plug wire, which can be hair-raising. Do this to see if it keeps running, and then you can see if the wiring is a factor.

drivebywire

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the test procedure. I did that, the tractor ran longer but still quit. The first time it started back up within a couple minutes and quit again. I waited a few more minutes and it started up and ran for another 30 and quit again.

All in all it quit 4 times in 1.5 hours. When it does start again there is no black or white smoke. While I was waiting for it to start back up I put a spark plug in the plug wire boot and couldn't see any spark however I was outside.

When it quit the last time I pushed it into the garage, put the old plug into the wire and cranked it. At first there was no spark. As I cranked it some more, there was spark but it was weak. Finally the spark went away, I pushed it in it's spot and walked away.

I appreciate your help!! Where would you look next?