Help--Kohler Command 12.5s Won't Start/ Runs Erratically

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
  • / Help--Kohler Command 12.5s Won't Start/ Runs Erratically
Well if you are saying that you have done all of this with the kill wire disconnected from the base of the coil, and you have intermittent or no spark, then your coil is bad.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
And if it is indeed "bad". Then, usually something has killed it... And you need to figure this out before replacing your coil.

What kills the electronic magneto type coils, is "voltage". Stray voltage that gets sent to the kill wire terminal n the coil. So
you need to figure out what is going on. You need to test the kill wire circuit for stray voltage with the key switch, controls, all switches, steering, shifters, levers, etc....

On a normal mower setup, the engine shuts down when the key is turned to the "off" position, which means that the keyswitch
places that connection on the base of the coil to "ground" to shut down the engine. And any voltage supplied to this connection will damage and/or destroy the coil, new or used, so slapping a brand new coil won't do much if it will be destroyed soon.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I simply say replace your coil, as the symptoms you describe are an indication of the coil either opening or shorting to ground when it gets hot.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
So you are suggesting that he replace the "bad" coil without testing for voltage to the "kill" circuit?????

But what if he did as you suggest and there is voltage present, what would happen?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Don't know where voltage would be coming from. All his symptoms indicate a coil which is either opening or shorting to ground, caused by heat expansion in either the primary or secondary windings. Never heard of a voltage spike breaking down a coil on a magneto ignition system. Have seen it on a battery system, but in this case it does not apply. Replace the coil is my recommendation, the OP can decide what they would like to do.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Your joking, right?

You have never came across a coil destroyed by voltage getting to the kill wire circuit?

You have to be pulling our leg.....

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
No, I am not joking. In a magneto ignition system, such as the one on lawn mowers, the only part which produces voltage is the coil itself. I don't know how it could spike itself when it produces the voltage. If it were a battery ignition system, I guess it is possible for the battery to produce current to spike the coil, but that could only occur if the coil was hooked up incorrectly. If you understood how a coil produces the voltage needed to jump the plug, you would understand why I am not joking. If you want to test for voltage coming into the coil be my guest, but I doubt you will find any, as there is no source.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Good Lord!!!!!

Have you ever actually ever worked on anything in the field? You have got to be joking!!!!!!

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
You have never worked on a tractor with chewed up or molten wiring? A keyswitch that has come apart on the inside?
After all of out thrashing about, you want to go on record for this "stance"??

Cool, because it really shows that you have little or no idea of what you are talking about..... I mean really..... I wanted to make up with you a while ago, but you keep coming back with some real knee slappers!!!!

I am still open to be friends, but I must warn you, when you put out false info, I will have to call you on it. Just because you are old, crochety, brash, doesn't make you right, the same goes for me.

But I hate to be a part of a site that posts total bullcrap, and everyone else ignores it so they won't get singled out.

I give advice to try and help the op, and usually piss off everybody.....

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Yes, I stand by my reply. If you can show me how a magneto ignition system coil can get voltage out of a ground, I will change my stance. I am not going to get into a debate over this and the original poster can make is own decision how he wants to proceed, but I am done replying to your posts. Open to be friends, now you are joking, right.