Push rod lenght

tim2

Threads
Briggs & Stratton engine ID# 31A607 0458 E1, got this engine after it was torn down completely. I have reassembled it but I think I may have thee push rods inserted improperly. Can someone give me the length of the intake and exhaust push rods? Thank you for any and all help.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The length of the push rods should be the same. The steel rod goes to the exhaust valve and the aluminum one goes to the intake.

tim2

Threads
Thank you, I will get out the magnet and check it out. Thinking I may need to buy a set of new rods because they might be bent.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Put them on a flat tabletop and roll them to check for bends. You probably have lost one of the valve caps, which are little buttons that sit atop the valve tip, under the rocker arm.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Look around on the ground where you first tore it down, they are easy to lose, also cn easily fall into the engine.

31a briggs head.jpg

They are ref number #238

tim2

Threads
Hey Fish, are the valve caps located on the end of the valves? If so I am going to have to open it up again..... That's not a problem as I have been in it a few times already. Thanks for the input. I really want to get this thing going again.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Yes, they sit over the valve tips, you put the feeler gauge between them and the rocker arm.

tim2

Threads
I am going to have to assume the guy that tore it down lost both of them. The engine was in a couple boxes when I got it. So time to hit the web and find a couple to replace them.

tim2

Threads
Both of the valve caps are there. I cannot for the life of me figure out why I cant get this thing to run.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Re-check your flywheel key.