Kohler 12.5 with electric start

RonnieJGibson

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a kohler 12.5 on a small john deere, great mower, ran great last weekend, went out this weekend to do some yard work and it cranked right up, put it in gear and it turned off, took the breather off and see some oil/gas in the bottom of the carb, cranked it back up started off at low throttle, ran fine, smoked a little, when i got to about 3/4 throttle it ran for about two seconds, then blew a good amount of gas/oil mix into the carb. Dip stick smells like gas too, just would like to know if anyone has any ideas on what this could be?

tractorman5720

Forum Newbie
Threads
Sounds like your piston rings are gone. They keep oiliness at the bottom from the sparks and explosions at the top.

bakerg

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have a kohler 12.5 on a small john deere, great mower, ran great last weekend, went out this weekend to do some yard work and it cranked right up, put it in gear and it turned off, took the breather off and see some oil/gas in the bottom of the carb, cranked it back up started off at low throttle, ran fine, smoked a little, when i got to about 3/4 throttle it ran for about two seconds, then blew a good amount of gas/oil mix into the carb. Dip stick smells like gas too, just would like to know if anyone has any ideas on what this could be?

Your float could have stuck and flooded the engine and filled the crankcase with gas. Check level of oil on dipstick.

Briana

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hello, I have moved your post to the John Deere Forum. You will have better luck finding assistance there. :wink:

Thanks for joining LawnMowerForum!!!