Engine Honda GXV530 won't start

Dap

Forum Newbie
Threads
First off - this is an awesome website and am happy to be a new member. About me - I have about 5 acres to mow. When it gets too high for the riding mower my solution is a Stanley brush mower (with the Honda GXV530). Starting today the GXV530 will not start normally (in the past it always started right up). If a small amount of gas is put in the carb it will fire up, but stop as soon as the fuel depletes. The gas line up to the carb will drain gas out of it as expected (when disconnected) and the gas tank is 2/3 full. I found what I believe is a approx 1/4" vent hose (?) off the bottom of the carb - not sure what if any impact this may have had on the engine starting problem - assume it came off when previously cutting high brush (just now put it back on). Believe the problem is with the carb but not sure? There is a fuel cut solenoid valve that screws into the carb. Not sure what operates it or if it is even functional (California only?).
Thank you in advance for your help.

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
First off - this is an awesome website and am happy to be a new member. About me - I have about 5 acres to mow. When it gets too high for the riding mower my solution is a Stanley brush mower (with the Honda GXV530). Starting today the GXV530 will not start normally (in the past it always started right up). If a small amount of gas is put in the carb it will fire up, but stop as soon as the fuel depletes. The gas line up to the carb will drain gas out of it as expected (when disconnected) and the gas tank is 2/3 full. I found what I believe is a approx 1/4" vent hose (?) off the bottom of the carb - not sure what if any impact this may have had on the engine starting problem - assume it came off when previously cutting high brush (just now put it back on). Believe the problem is with the carb but not sure? There is a fuel cut solenoid valve that screws into the carb. Not sure what operates it or if it is even functional (California only?).
Thank you in advance for your help.

Are you getting spark okay to both plugs?

If so, then you are probably right, an issue with the carburetor is possible. Step 1 is to drain out all the old fuel and re-fill with fresh. Even fuel that is 30 days old can sometimes decay to the point where it can clog up the carburetor.

The GXV530 has a vacuum-style fuel pump on some applications. If you have one on your engine, confirm it is operating.

The fuel-cut solenoid is mostly an anti-backfire device, FYI. When 12V DC is applied, the plunger should retract.

Confirm the choke is closing properly when starting a cold engine. The choke should not close completely (some air must pass through)

Any debris or slime inside the carburetor will cause poor running, surging, or even a no-start condition. Sometimes, the main jet and nozzle can be plugged (happens all the time on many small gas engines)

If you want to remove and overhaul the carburetor, a shop manual is essential; Honda sells paper copies direct on Amazon and eBay:

Honda Power Equipment Shop Manuals on eBay
Honda Power Equipment Shop Manuals on Amazon

Dap

Forum Newbie
Threads
Robert, very much appreciate your response. I went ahead and ordered the service manual. It should be here by the end of this week. I will put a tester on each of the spark plugs. Since it briefly started when I poured a small amount of fuel in the carb I skipped that. What has happened, while trying to start it the normal way - was it filled up the exhaust and engine with fuel and then fuel started leaking out the bottom of the carb! I shut off the gas valve, pulled the spark plugs and cranked it over, blowing out a large amount of fuel. Also found my oil level has gone up above the normal level ~1/4 of a quart. Will update after checking for spark and choke closure.

HS42

Forum Newbie
Threads
I also have a start problem which is intermittent and has been going on for about 2 years. What did you find to be the problem with your mower?

Dap

Forum Newbie
Threads
Have the same Stanley brush mower and Honda engine and have had your problem. Two things I have learned. 1- Only add Stable (to keep your fuel good) e.g. not any type of fuel cleaner (maybe what Honda recommends is ok?) - found that various carb/fuel cleaners deteriorate the carb internals. 2 - Add the chainsaw air cleaner with the correct sized tubing for hookup to the carb vent - as noted below. Note: ensure the vent is not plugged up first!
The vent hose, connected to the top of the carb, must be able to vent the carb in order for the float to operate correctly. If the vent hose is plugged gas will run thru carb since the float valve will stay open. Remove vent hose and clear obstruction.
'Cutter bees like to make their homes in those small holes.' Found that adding a Stihl fuel filter (0000 350 3502) eliminates the issue. The Stihl filter is called 'pickup body'. My Honda has run flawlessly since it being installed.
The web address is http://www.selfhelpforums.com/showthread.php?34575-honda-GXV530-lawn-mower-engine-flooding-out