LA140 John Deere

Johndguy

Forum Newbie
Threads
Looking for any ideas,engine won't start. Cleaned carb,turns over easy,put fuel in carb start then dies.......cleaned carb,put new fuel filter on,changed fuel lines,there is fuel in bowl when took it off,the switch on bowl works fine. Any help would be appreciated .

granger3

Threads
Sounds like a no spark issue then. There is a park brake switch that might possibly be bad.
There is also a controller by the steering wheel under the cover panel that can go bad that won't allow any spark.

Johndguy

Forum Newbie
Threads
Sounds like a no spark issue then. There is a park brake switch that might possibly be bad.
There is also a controller by the steering wheel under the cover panel that can go bad that won't allow any spark.
Thanks for idea but not a spark problem, it's does start and run when fuel put in carb,there is fuel in float bowl but for some reason not going throw carb

granger3

Threads
Did you try taking the fuel cap off and try to run it? Sometimes the vent in the cap gets plugged and causes a fuel system vacuum.

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
John Deere specs say it has a Briggs & Stratton, but it don't say what model, clean the carb out again, and if its got a fuel solenoid make sure its working, if you need more help come back with the model number of the engine, all numbers please.

ridesno4llfe

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for idea but not a spark problem, it's does start and run when fuel put in carb,there is fuel in float bowl but for some reason not going throw carb

If there is fuel in the bowl most likely your main and idle jets are clogged. My best advice would be to pull the carb. Take it apart as much as you can while taking pictures and counting turns when removing adjustment screws for reassembly. Then rinse the carb completely making sure to hit all the passages. Reassemble and make sure your getting fuel from the tank and see if it fires.

Pineapple

Threads
I've had same starting issues w/ my L120. Check the hose that dips into the fuel tank. Sediment collects at bottom of tank and will block that tube. I shortened/pulled it (tube ) up so that it wasn't near bottom of tank. I've found that the majority of the times this mower has died was due to fuel problem. I wish JD would have put better steel in their steering gears though...too soft. have replaced three times already at approx. $90 a shot. Sorry for bringing different problem to light.. Check the tube first in the tank, then in line fuel filter.