How to swap choke-a-matic over to manual choke

jln5685

Threads
Thats right. The throttle runs up and down. Down is idle and up is full. You can push it up about another quarter inch to choke.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
well, loosen the cable where it clamps on at the carb, and work it and slide it, and put the control on full choke, and then watch the linkages and see what is stopping it, or what needs to happen to move the choke lever. You may
just have to remove a part from your old carb, or something simple....

jln5685

Threads
I was thinking about using the old carbs choke butterfly but the new carb doesnt have a stop on it like the old one. The old carb had a spring to keep the butterfly in a certain position until the throttle moves the linkage. Id have to look at it to see how the spring keept it, be it kept open or closed.

I think it would easiest to either replace the bracket that the throttle and choke linkage connects too, or just add a new choke cable.

smallenginesuppliers

Forum Newbie
Threads
It's weird to think B&S did not have the part number in their system. It shows in PartSmart

Also shows on The Power Portal

jln5685

Threads
I dunno, but when I read him the part# he said it wasnt in the system. I alsp printed a parts list from thier website and it wasnt listed on it either.

jln5685

Threads
The old carb is part #795968

jln5685

Threads
View attachment 21759

Well, here is how the vast majority of the carbs are set up. Your throttle rod looks bent a bit though.

You my have to scrounge a little hardware, but it shouldn't be too difficult. I have posted a pic of a normal setup, the pics are the same, except that I have moved the choke lever so you can see what you need to set up..

View attachment 21760

Thanks, your picture helped tremendously. Between your picture and B&S parts list, I was able to piece together what I think I need. I ordered the bracket and all the hardware. Just need to find a cable. Any suggestions on a universal cable? The only B&S cables I found were close to 40 bucks, and I didnt see any cables in my parts guide to know if the ones I found would work.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Just measure the length, and drop by a NAPA or auto zone, they should have generic choke cables

Homer1

Threads
I could really use the end result pics of this modification right about now.. Bump from 2014 :confused2:

smallenginesuppliers

Forum Newbie
Threads
Email me at sales at smallenginesuppliers dot com and I will send you a video I have of the conversion. (NOTE: The forum would not let me post the email address correctly so you'll have to put 2+2 together)