mulching vs bagging

Jimmm

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a JD X300 42" mower with the stock non-mulching EDGE deck. It cuts my 1+ acre yard beautifully but leaves rows of grass clippings on top of the newly cut grass. The lawn is in Florida with primarily Bahia grass plus a small amount of other assorted grasses and weeds which have invaded the lawn over the years. I would like to get rid of the rows of clippings. Mulching seems to be the trend now rather than bagging since it feeds the grass. Will the X300 have the power to handle mulching and would I be better off buying the mulching kit or gator mulching blades? How much longer does it take to mow using the mulching method since I assume you have to go slower. 1.5x? 2x? Is it harder on the mower? Does the grass have to be bone dry to mulch?

Also which blades should I get? The dealer sold me the AM 141031 blade kit as stock replacement blades but I notice they look a lot different than the OEM blades which I just replaced after a season's service. The original blades have a short sharpened area an the end with a high lift bent area at the trailing edge. These new blades I just purchased have a longer cutting area with a hump in the middle and a lower lift angle. It looks almost impossible to sharpen these blades given the cutting edges have a hump in the middle of them. Anyone know why that hump is there? What it does?

Retiredcarguy

Threads
You have asked excellent questions. Surely, many members here will add their thoughts. To me, mulching is an advantage, but also another choice. Size of the property to be cut is a primary consideration. The condition and length of the grass is another. I always cut when dry, and also to a height of 4.25 inches. I also use Oregon Gator blades that work extremely well on my property and for my needs.

Mulching is sometimes perfect, also at times not because of length and moisture, however it is an excellent alternative. It entirely depends on the look that you want. My choice, in a rural area is that mulching works just fine.

Jhon

Threads
I mulch because it is easier.

Jimmm

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for your reply. Which Oregon Gator blades do you use? G3, G5 or G6? Is your deck a mulching deck or side discharge? Did you get a mulching kit or do you use the Gators with the discharge chute open or covered?

Unfortunately, here in Florida in the summer it is so humid the morning dew is very heavy and takes all morning to burn off, especially on long grass (>4"). About that time the early afternoon thunderstorms roll in so there's a very small window when the grass is dry.

Jimmm

Forum Newbie
Threads
Can you elaborate on how it is easier? Also, does it take longer than not mulching? I'm thinking with the mower has to do more work mulching the clippings so I'd end up moving forward at a slower pace.

Jhon

Threads
Can you elaborate on how it is easier? Also, does it take longer than not mulching? I'm thinking with the mower has to do more work mulching the clippings so I'd end up moving forward at a slower pace.

Sure, what I mean by easier is you Just sit on your tractor and mow. you don't have to hook the bagger and shoot up to your tractor. And you don't have to dump the bags and figure out what to do with the clippings.

I have a 42 inch deck with a mulch plug. Last year I switched from JD blades to Gator Blades.
Sometimes when the grass is kind of on the high side or wet, I have to go over the grass twice is some spots to get rid of the clumps.

If you are going to bag, I suggest that you get high lift blades. In the fall I use the bagger to bag my leaves and when I switched to them, it eliminated about 90% of my shoot clogs I got from the JD Mulching and the 3 in 1 blades. Vast improvement.

Happy mowing

Jimmm

Forum Newbie
Threads
If you are going to bag, I suggest that you get high lift blades. In the fall I use the bagger to bag my leaves and when I switched to them, it eliminated about 90% of my shoot clogs I got from the JD Mulching and the 3 in 1 blades. Vast improvement.

Happy mowing

Do you mean the JD high lift bagging blades or does Gator make high lift blades?

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
I would use the gator blades and side discharge.

I would not even try the G6 on your mower.

I run the gator blades and side discharge
It is the best combo I have found.
Works good in thick grass and lots of leaves.

If you go with a mulch kit you are going to have to go slow and not cut more then a inch of grass.

Retiredcarguy

Threads

If you go with a mulch kit you are going to have to go slow and not cut more then a inch of grass.

All good advice, as speed kills on the lawn too! Slow down a bit, and enjoy the better cut and mulch.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads

What you say maybe true for the mower you are using, but on that mower (JD X300) I wouldn't even consider Gator Blades unless he likes to replace his spindle bushings.