is a tecumseh primer bulb supposed to have a hole in it?

tpolley

Threads
  • / is a tecumseh primer bulb supposed to have a hole in it?
Probably a stupid question but I have to ask. It doesn't look like its caused by damaged. It's a perfectly round hole. Dead center of the primer. Probably 2-3 millimeters in diameter. No fuel leaks from it. The primer appears to work. It's a '95-ish 3.8hp legend. I've never seen a primer bulb with a hole in it but then I've never messed with a tecumseh before.

mystreba

Threads
Probably a stupid question but I have to ask. It doesn't look like its caused by damaged. It's a perfectly round hole. Dead center of the primer. Probably 2-3 millimeters in diameter. No fuel leaks from it. The primer appears to work. It's a '95-ish 3.8hp legend. I've never seen a primer bulb with a hole in it but then I've never messed with a tecumseh before.

If it ain't broke....

Seriously, that's a good question. Let's hope it's designed that way. The primer bulb on my string trimmer developed a crack, and I had to replace it. When I called to order the part they made me order a whole new carburetor. What a waste.

tpolley

Threads
I did a bunch of research and found an answer. Tecumseh used 3 different carburetors. One bad a regular round primer bulb, one had what people describe as an hour glass shaped bulb and another had an hour glass shaped bulb with a hole in it. I found another forum someone had asked the same question and someone said it was supposed to have a hole. So I went to Google and typed "tecumseh primer bulb with hole" and after several pages I found one with a picture and an arrow pointing to the hole. :biggrin:

Jetblast

Threads
I did a bunch of research and found an answer. Tecumseh used 3 different carburetors. One bad a regular round primer bulb, one had what people describe as an hour glass shaped bulb and another had an hour glass shaped bulb with a hole in it. I found another forum someone had asked the same question and someone said it was supposed to have a hole. So I went to Google and typed "tecumseh primer bulb with hole" and after several pages I found one with a picture and an arrow pointing to the hole. :biggrin:

That particular primer bulb with the hole is designed to be used only after eating KFC and before washing your hands, to obtain an optimal seal. Seriously, what's up with that? No matter, it's hard to argue with stuff that works.

tpolley

Threads
I Had to go look ...
Youtube has an easy 'How To" video on replacing the primer bulb...
YouTube - HOW TO Replace Lawnmower Primer Bulb
:smile:KennyV

Donyboy73 has done a lot of good how-to videos. They've saved my arse a number of times. He's taught me everything I know about cleaning a carburetor. There's been times when I had my mytouch 4g propped up on a lawnmower engine playing his video, a screwdriver in one hand carburetor in the other hand a can of card cleaner and a can of beer sitting on the mower deck.

Jetblast

Threads
Donyboy73 has done a lot of good how-to videos. They've saved my arse a number of times. He's taught me everything I know about cleaning a carburetor. There's been times when I had my mytouch 4g propped up on a lawnmower engine playing his video, a screwdriver in one hand carburetor in the other hand a can of card cleaner and a can of beer sitting on the mower deck.

You're right. That guy is excellent. Most YouTube tutorials consist of two minutes of information and five minutes of extraneous "duhs" and second guessing. That guy knows how to be concise and how to edit.

mystreba

Threads

I find that the more beer I drink, the better the videos get. :drink:

I've used Smartflix videos for construction and found them well worth the rental fee. But they also have sets for small engines. Here's the set for carburetors... SmartFlix, the Web's Biggest How-To DVD Rental Store