Mower starts and runs only when tipped up

PSHawk

Forum Newbie
Threads
i have a craftsman 917.376572 that has a Briggs and Straton engine. the mower will start every time i pull the cord but will only stay running if the handle is pushed nearly to the ground. if i level it out (to normal mowing position) it dies almost immediately. i have checked the gas tank and line and made sure the float in the carburetor isnt sunk and is free. i really dont want to have to buy a whole new mower when this one does run.

additional info: recently the engine was abruptly stopped by a curb but it started right back up then and was able to finish mowing the yard. only a week later when i went to use it again did it start showing this particular problem.

thanks

mrfred54

Threads
does this mower have a low oil level kill switch. make sure full of oil

Retiredcarguy

Threads
Fred has some good advice above. I would add to it:

Does the machine have any other safety switches, seat?, PTO, engagement, etc?
Check for a loose connector that may not be seated, fully plugged in, etc.
Check also for loose grounds and all electrical connections.
Try moving any and all wires with a wooden stick when it is running.

Safely first, on all of the above - of course!

It may be a very simple solution. You will find it.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Check the oil if it is low look under the deck for oil. You could have messed up the crank seal when you hit the curb.

PSHawk

Forum Newbie
Threads
the dipstick shows its maxed out. but i will poke around at it some more tonight. thanks for the tips

jakewells

Threads
your air filter is bad i had a 5hp quantam briggs do the same thing. try taking out the filter then start the mower how your normally start it.

PSHawk

Forum Newbie
Threads
apparently it just needed a vacation, because it started up and ran great yesterday. thanks for the advice and if it acts up again i will definitely check out the air filter and double check the oil level shut off

Retiredcarguy

Threads
Glad to hear!
Maybe also just a small bit of water in the fuel tank, that mixed at certain operating conditions and levels.

Self-healing lawn machines; what is the world coming to! LOL

Jman221

Forum Newbie
Threads
i have a craftsman 917.376572 that has a Briggs and Straton engine. the mower will start every time i pull the cord but will only stay running if the handle is pushed nearly to the ground. if i level it out (to normal mowing position) it dies almost immediately. i have checked the gas tank and line and made sure the float in the carburetor isnt sunk and is free. i really dont want to have to buy a whole new mower when this one does run.

additional info: recently the engine was abruptly stopped by a curb but it started right back up then and was able to finish mowing the yard. only a week later when i went to use it again did it start showing this particular problem.

thanks
You most likely have water in the carburetor bowl. Loosen the bowl nut underneath and drain a little gas out for immediate fix. Retighten the nut and it should run. Longer term, keep your gas tank full between cuts. Dry gas additive helps. High environment temperature swings cause water to condense in a cold empty gas tank when the weather warms up. Water is heavier than gas and drops down in your carburetor bowl. A full tank leaves no room for water to condense inside. Why does it run only when tilted? Tilting the lawnmower moves water away from the float valve so it runs when tilted but leveling it out puts the water in the middle of the bowl at the needle valve and stalls the engine. Draining the bowl a bit from the bottom lets the water out.