Craftsman YT4000 46" - Mulching Blades leaving grass clumps on right side

grecosimtpy

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Craftsman YT4000 46" - Mulching Blades leaving grass clumps on right side
Hi Folks,

I've had my YT4000 (B&H) 46" for about a year. Unfortunately, I've not been incredibly impressed with the build quality as many items have failed or broken in just one year's time.

I tend to baby my equipment and maintain them impeccably. But, this machine has been temperamental since day one.

• Choke never engaged from the day I bought it (had to manually hold the choke open to start it with the hood up)
  • More recently the idle adjuster doesn't do anything, just stays at one speed no matter what speed I set it to (either need a new cable or lubricate the one I have)
  • The cruise control knob fell off and I can't get it to stay on for the life of me.

That being said, all last year it cut GREAT, so I put aside the minor quirks because I loved the way it handled my lawn.

This year, not so much. When I bought the tractor last year, I had it delivered with the mulching kit installed. It cut fantastically and never left any clumps of trails of grass.

A few weeks ago, (about the 5th or 6th mow of the season) I noticed it was leaving a trail of cut grass down the right side of the mower. I figured that possible the blades were getting dull and not cutting efficiently any longer. I picked up a new set of mulching blades from Sears and replaced them (I verified they were the same exact blades that I was replacing and were installed correctly with grass side down).

After switching out the blades, I'm still leaving that trail of grass down the right side. I mow once a week (always have) and I've never had any issue with leaving trails of grass before. I also mow at the highest setting (6 on the height adjuster).

Thoughts? I'm thinking it could be one of a few things:

• Messed up Idle control is actually not running the engine fast enough (though it does sound as if it is running at full normal RPM). I reach down with the hood up and manually try to rev it, but it seems at it's highest setting.
  • Slipping belt (though I hear no whining or chattering)
  • Bad spindle?
  • Deck out of alignment?

Any insight on what could cause this oh sages of the lawnmower?

Thanks much in advance

michiganmike

Threads
  • / Craftsman YT4000 46" - Mulching Blades leaving grass clumps on right side
I wonder why you haven't called Sears Service to come look at it ? ? ? It has a two year warranty doesn't it?