Remote Control Mower

Threads
As a fabricator I would like to see if anyone has made a remote controled lawn mower.
I am building one using a six channel airplane remote control and a five foot Bolens finish mower. Hydrostatic drive, hydo lifts for the deck, wild huh? Can't wait till I go out and buy a hammock to relax in in while it cruises my property.
If anyone has info on this idea or just thoughts, I would be interested in hearing from you.
Some say it can't be done, well they should get up earlier in the morning because it's happening in my shop now.
Pictures to come !
Show me what you have built, or just share some great ideas.

Mike

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
Re: Welcome to the Bigger & Better (Mower Modifications & Customizations) Forum!

Mike,

Good luck ! I hope the fail safe is "STOP HERE NOW ! :eek:" I could see it running wild while you search for new batteries with a dead remote !!! :biggrin: No remote signal should = STOP !

Neat Idea, but I enjoy riding around.

Threads
Re: Welcome to the Bigger & Better (Mower Modifications & Customizations) Forum!

Your right, a lost signal should shut it down. Good idea BK !
I'll work on that for sure...

thanks !

Semiretired

Threads
Don't forget a dead man switch for when you fall asleep in the hammock!!!:laughing:

ted

Threads
That would be interesting to see since I love anything robotic but it would be scary at the same time. Knowing my luck it would go off course, run over the wife's flowers and then I would get a yapping.

dria

Threads
I would pay extra attention to safety. I would also make sure to limit the speed. If you were to really figure out those two solutions you could be on to something.

Usedtorent

Threads
I would love to see this! I have never built anything like this but it would be neat to try. I would hate to see it running a muck all over the yard too. I can see you running behind it.

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
As a fabricator I would like to see if anyone has made a remote controled lawn mower.
I am building one using a six channel airplane remote control and a five foot Bolens finish mower. Hydrostatic drive, hydo lifts for the deck, wild huh? Can't wait till I go out and buy a hammock to relax in in while it cruises my property.
If anyone has info on this idea or just thoughts, I would be interested in hearing from you.
Some say it can't be done, well they should get up earlier in the morning because it's happening in my shop now.
Pictures to come !
Show me what you have built, or just share some great ideas.

Mike
I love the idea in itself and although handy at building and repairing mechanical things I cannot imagine trying to construct a five foot, remote controlled mower. What if a low flying airplane, or your neighbor's garage door remote scrambles your signals? Oh, for your idea, did you ever see the movie "Lawnmower Man"? :biggrin: Would love to see your pics...you have a great project there.

cren

Threads
The signal crossing would throw me off too, what about just the frequencies that are random besides those mentioned. Even more, I live somewhat close to a naval base, the last thing I need would be crossing signals with them on accident. :confused2:

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
RC controllers have been around for decades, and are very refined, there is no possibility for cross talk in a well engineered RC system... They work very well. There are commercially built RC riderless Commercial Lawn Mowers / Slope Mowers

a robotic mower should be self contained, no need to interface with an operator.. :smile:KennyV