HydroGear EZT Transaxle

RetiredGuns

Threads
No reason to get worked up over cuttin' grass. I'm just thinking that heavy use (extreme heat) & contamination without an easy way to change fluid & filter is what makes the ezt "light duty". They seem to be giving a lot of folks good service.

A '69 Hemi Superbee could test a Dana 60 rear end, but a slant 6 Valiant didn't need one. Some guys need a 1hp bandsaw and some only 1/2hp. On & on..

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
My timecutter Z480 is 7 years old and still no trouble. I got it used a few weeks ago and have used it every day. So can we call the zt-3400 junk because a lot of them have failed within 200 hours?

Ouch.....don't say that.....my ZTR has the ZT-3400's. It seems that if the ZTR is well maintained the EZT trannies can be pretty dependable!!

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Ouch.....don't say that.....my ZTR has the ZT-3400's. It seems that if the ZTR is well maintained the EZT trannies can be pretty dependable!!

I have mixed feelings about changing the oil in a EZT.
Remember the ford transmissions back in the 70s and 80s they would work good until you changed the fluid and filter then they would just stop working.

So my thinking is if you get a used one with like over 300 hours just leave it be.
If you buy new then change the oil to a good quality oil.

I do clean the little sponge like filter on top of the breather hose.

I keep them clean and look for leaks at the start of every day

People like to mess with the RPMs to get more blade or ground speed. The ezt is only rated for 3800 max RPMs and no lower then 1800 RPMs

Driving the mower at a idle will tear any hydro up.

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have mixed feelings about changing the oil in a EZT.
Remember the ford transmissions back in the 70s and 80s they would work good until you changed the fluid and filter then they would just stop working.

So my thinking is if you get a used one with like over 300 hours just leave it be.
If you buy new then change the oil to a good quality oil.

I do clean the little sponge like filter on top of the breather hose.

I keep them clean and look for leaks at the start of every day

People like to mess with the RPMs to get more blade or ground speed. The ezt is only rated for 3800 max RPMs and no lower then 1800 RPMs

Driving the mower at a idle will tear any hydro up.
I agree with following oil/filter change recommendation on a new and leaving one be if it hasn't been changed for 300 hours.

But now you've got "me" worried:0(

When getting my ZTR out or storing it(transport to/from mowing....no blades engaged), I drive it with the throttle at idle all the time(well over the last 55 hours since I bought it). Am I potentially "damaging" my hydro transaxles(ZT-3400's)????? If so I'll correct that bad habit immediately!!!!!! And hope I haven't done any harm already!!!

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
I agree with following oil/filter change recommendation on a new and leaving one be if it hasn't been changed for 300 hours. But now you've got "me" worried:0( When getting my ZTR out or storing it(transport to/from mowing....no blades engaged), I drive it with the throttle at idle all the time(well over the last 55 hours since I bought it). Am I potentially "damaging" my hydro transaxles(ZT-3400's)????? If so I'll correct that bad habit immediately!!!!!! And hope I haven't done any harm already!!!

When you are transporting at a idle do the hydros make noise?

Everything on a mower is Designed to operate with the throttle on fast even the engine.

The engine gets it's max air flow for cooling at full throttle.

Even a engine in a vehicle gets hotter at a idle then at normal driving RPMs.
One of the big reasons we now use electric fans. And performance engines use electric water pumps.

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
When you are transporting at a idle do the hydros make noise?

Everything on a mower is Designed to operate with the throttle on fast even the engine.

The engine gets it's max air flow for cooling at full throttle.

Even a engine in a vehicle gets hotter at a idle then at normal driving RPMs.
One of the big reasons we now use electric fans. And performance engines use electric water pumps.

The hydros seem to have a louder "whirring" sound than when mowing at full throttle. I guess you could say they are "noisier', but I haven't noticed any "change" in the sound from when I did it with 0.5 hours on it the first time I used it. Maybe that means I haven't damaged the hydros yet.......I hope:0)

Makes sense though(especially about the air-cooled engine needing maximum air circulation when under any load) and I guess I just got a much needed Lawn Mower 101. I am going to discontinue having the throttle at anything less than 1/2 throttle when starting or warming up and 3/4 throttle when engaging/dis-engaging the PTO. Anytime the "ZTR is moving" the engine will be at full throttle henceforth!!!! THANKS BUNCHES for catching that and giving me advice that may very well prevent me from damaging my Gravely!!!!!!!!!!

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
The hydros seem to have a louder "whirring" sound than when mowing at full throttle. I guess you could say they are "noisier', but I haven't noticed any "change" in the sound from when I did it with 0.5 hours on it the first time I used it. Maybe that means I haven't damaged the hydros yet.......I hope:0) Makes sense though(especially about the air-cooled engine needing maximum air circulation when under any load) and I guess I just got a much needed Lawn Mower 101. I am going to discontinue having the throttle at anything less than 1/2 throttle when starting or warming up and 3/4 throttle when engaging/dis-engaging the PTO. Anytime the "ZTR is moving" the engine will be at full throttle henceforth!!!! THANKS BUNCHES for catching that and giving me advice that may very well prevent me from damaging my Gravely!!!!!!!!!!

I do not know if engaging the pto at half or full does any harm or good. I try and engage at half or less but sometimes I get in a hurry and engage at full. Don't tell my wife.

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
I do not know if engaging the pto at half or full does any harm or good. I try and engage at half or less but sometimes I get in a hurry and engage at full. Don't tell my wife.

Yes....for engaging/dis-engaging the PTO my Gravely manual says 3/4 throttle and some say 1/2 throttle. You should try to avoid doing it at full throttle as it puts an immediate hard load on the clutch which can cause premature wear.

Southland

Threads
I've got a Troy-Blit 50" zero-turn that I bought in 2008 with the EZTs. It has 300 hours on it with no problems from the EZT transmissions. My yard has some hills on it and I'm about 260 lbs, so I'm guessing the mower with me is about 900 lbs. It handles the hills fine. I have not changed the transmission oil. So no complaints from me. However, if I do have a problem with one of the transmissions, I plan to do the rebuild myself. From the videos online, it does not appear to be very hard to do.

Lawn Addict
Threads
So what do I see for the latest Toro Hydro Gear ZT trannies, Not serviceable. They claim it helps to not have as many potential leak points at hose ends etc, & allows the commercial user to have one less thing to deal with.. :confused2: