HR214 SX blade brake problem?

JerseyPaul

Forum Newbie
Threads
There was already a problem with the mower because it was hard to pull start. But, when it started it ran fine. Last week it was even harder to pull and I couldn't start it. When I pulled, the blade was moving. So I was trying different things and found that if I pushed the blade engage lever, I could start it. Once started I tried to disengage the blade and it seemed like the blade brake was engaging and smelled like it was burning. So I taped the lever and cut the lawn. Anyone know how to fix?

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
There was already a problem with the mower because it was hard to pull start. But, when it started it ran fine. Last week it was even harder to pull and I couldn't start it. When I pulled, the blade was moving. So I was trying different things and found that if I pushed the blade engage lever, I could start it. Once started I tried to disengage the blade and it seemed like the blade brake was engaging and smelled like it was burning. So I taped the lever and cut the lawn. Anyone know how to fix?

Does sound like an issue with the Roto-Stop (clutch device between the blades and engine). WAY back in 1988, Honda issued a Service Bulletin for the HR214SX that had an issue with uneven Roto-Stop brake wear, which could make the mower difficult to start. The brake should be inspected for excessive wear and galling. Affected units were frame serial numbers 1000001-1159899 and 6000001-6132290. The brake disc, drive disk, clutch spring, and clutch return springs (2) should be replaced.

Best bet is to have a Honda dealer inspect the mower and determine if the brake system needs replacement. You can find a Honda dealer in your area using this link:
Find A Honda Dealer

If you prefer to DIY, I'd suggest getting a paper shop manual from Honda; here are the links to buy one direct:
Honda Shop Manuals on eBay
Honda Shop Manuals on Amazon

Finally, here's a screen shot of the actual bulletin; note the complete repair kit listed in the bottom left is no longer available, but individual parts (middle left) should be...

lm5_zps5219655c.jpg

R 244410

Forum Newbie
Threads
Lawn mower worked fine drained oil,took blade off and sharpened,reinstalled,added oil and the only way I can use pull start is to push in rotostart lever?? What happened any ideas please. Thx