Hustler Fastrac HD ride SUCKS

PA Weldor

Forum Newbie
Threads
I previously owned a commercial Hustler 340 with the 4 cyl Kubota diesel engine. It was getting up there in age, so I decided to buy a new machine. I chose the Hustler Fastrac HD with the 60" deck. The first time I mowed with it I noticed it rode ROUGH. I checked the tire pressure (supposed to be 8-12 psi) and they were way overinflated. I set all tires at 10 psi. Through the spring when ground is relatively soft, it rode great. Now that the summer heat has hardened the ground, it again rides like a Mack truck being pulled through a boulder field on it's roof.

One thing I've noticed is the seat is directly mounted on the hinged access cover to the battery and hydraulic motors. The only suspension is two small springs under the cover. I know they make a seat suspension kit, but, I figure when one buys a $7,000 mower, it should already be included.

Also, the drive tires/wheels could be larger. I have a neighbor who owns a Hustler Z and his drive tires are much larger than mine. Larger tires, equals softer ride.

Anyone looked at the aftermarket seats available for these things? I'm about ready to trade in my new mower for something that doesn't compress my spine every time I mow. It's so bad that my eye glasses pop out of the pocket on my tee shirt.

gabowman

Threads
Got the same mower and I just slow down in the rough areas. Let me know if you find a good suspension seat.

PA Weldor

Forum Newbie
Threads
Got the same mower and I just slow down in the rough areas. Let me know if you find a good suspension seat.

I just ordered this item on ebay. It's made in USA and is a OEM on many mowers. I should have it next week, and I'll post my review of the product after that.

Ebay item #

Description:
SEAT SUSPENSION FOR EXMARK,KUBOTA,JOHN DEERE Z TRAK,TORO,HUSTLER ZTR LAWN MOWERS.

DK35vince

Threads
You may want to consider flex forks also.
Added them to my Super Z this year and they do help.

PA Weldor

Forum Newbie
Threads
Received the seat suspension kit yesterday. Installed it this a.m. It's a direct fit and works great. After mounting I rode the mower around the roughest parts of our lawn. What an improvement.

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
Received the seat suspension kit yesterday. Installed it this a.m. It's a direct fit and works great. After mounting I rode the mower around the roughest parts of our lawn. What an improvement.

I wish other users complaining about the ride on their ZTR would read this thread with your "same mower before/after" comments. I hear some swear that the Flex Forks(Bad Boys have similar front suspension upgrade and the Ferris have springs) give a better ride, but IMHO if your suspension seat is "cushioned" based upon your weight(most full suspension seats are adjustable based upon the rider's weight) you're gonna be comfortable. I still have reservations about cut quality suffering when wheel suspension kits are added.

P.S.

I wholeheartedly agree with the OP(user PA Weldor) that Hustler "should" include a full suspension seat on the FasTrak SD(at $7,000)!!!! I narrowed my choices in the Fall of 2012 to the 52" Gravely Pro-Turn 100 XDZ, a 54" Hustler FasTrak SD, a 52" Dixon DX-100 and a 54"Bad Boy Outlaw. The seat on the Hustler was a turnoff, along with the dealer not wanting to "budge" on the $7,000 sticker price, making my Gravely an easy choice for $6,800 OTD and it came with a full suspension seat standard.

PA Weldor

Forum Newbie
Threads
I wish other users complaining about the ride on their ZTR would read this thread with your "same mower before/after" comments. I hear some swear that the Flex Forks(Bad Boys have similar front suspension upgrade and the Ferris have springs) give a better ride, but IMHO if your suspension seat is "cushioned" based upon your weight(most full suspension seats are adjustable based upon the rider's weight) you're gonna be comfortable. I still have reservations about cut quality suffering when wheel suspension kits are added.

P.S.

I wholeheartedly agree with the OP(user PA Weldor) that Hustler "should" include a full suspension seat on the FasTrak SD(at $7,000)!!!! I narrowed my choices in the Fall of 2012 to the 52" Gravely Pro-Turn 100 XDZ, a 54" Hustler FasTrak SD, a 52" Dixon DX-100 and a 54"Bad Boy Outlaw. The seat on the Hustler was a turnoff, along with the dealer not wanting to "budge" on the $7,000 sticker price, making my Gravely an easy choice for $6,800 OTD and it came with a full suspension seat standard.

I also question the cut quality with installed 'flex forks'. Wonder how much scalping will occur?

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
I also question the cut quality with installed 'flex forks'. Wonder how much scalping will occur?

I've always consider the suspension add-ons as gimmicks(or else ALL manufacturers would offer them rather than a handful), but another user with a Hustler Super Z contends it definitely improved the ride and had no effect on the cut quality(I wondered about scalping too). It's hard to argue with experience but I'd still spend my money on a full suspension seat before I added FF's.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
I see no need for any of this.

So with all this not feeling the bumps people will mow faster and then ask why does my mower cut like crap.
The mower is still hitting the bump and or holes so the mower is still feeling the abuse.

Just my 2 cents.

PA Weldor

Forum Newbie
Threads
I see no need for any of this.

So with all this not feeling the bumps people will mow faster and then ask why does my mower cut like crap.
The mower is still hitting the bump and or holes so the mower is still feeling the abuse.

Just my 2 cents.

With sharp blades the Hustler will mow very efficiently at top speed. That's why they have such a high acreage per hour mowing ability.

And, that's my two cents....