Hustler Fastrac HD ride SUCKS

Nickwilkins

Threads
Who wants to feel like they went 10 rounds with Mike Tyson after a weekend of grass cutting. Not me. If it's comfortable and you are satisfied with the job it produces, go for it.
the point I was trying to make is with the flex forks and suspension seat kit it has a very comfortable ride even on rough terrain. So the add ons are well worth the money.

gfp55

Threads
I previously owned a commercial Hustler 340 with the 4 cyl Kubota diesel engine. It was getting up there in age, so I decided to buy a new machine. I chose the Hustler Fastrac HD with the 60" deck. The first time I mowed with it I noticed it rode ROUGH. I checked the tire pressure (supposed to be 8-12 psi) and they were way overinflated. I set all tires at 10 psi. Through the spring when ground is relatively soft, it rode great. Now that the summer heat has hardened the ground, it again rides like a Mack truck being pulled through a boulder field on it's roof.

One thing I've noticed is the seat is directly mounted on the hinged access cover to the battery and hydraulic motors. The only suspension is two small springs under the cover. I know they make a seat suspension kit, but, I figure when one buys a $7,000 mower, it should already be included.

Also, the drive tires/wheels could be larger. I have a neighbor who owns a Hustler Z and his drive tires are much larger than mine. Larger tires, equals softer ride.

Anyone looked at the aftermarket seats available for these things? I'm about ready to trade in my new mower for something that doesn't compress my spine every time I mow. It's so bad that my eye glasses pop out of the pocket on my tee shirt.

I was wondering if you checked the air pressure is your tires after the heat of summer. If you put air in your tires and it was cool outside, the psi will have changed to a higher psi when the outside temp is hotter.

specman

Forum Newbie
Threads
the point I was trying to make is with the flex forks and suspension seat kit it has a very comfortable ride even on rough terrain. So the add ons are well worth the money.
I am agreeing with you my friend.

MRCo.

Threads
I was wondering if you checked the air pressure is your tires after the heat of summer. If you put air in your tires and it was cool outside, the psi will have changed to a higher psi when the outside temp is hotter.

Interesting point, but the difference should be negligible.

I've had a good number of customers add the flex forks and the only reports have been glowing- everyone is very happy, no scalping or cut issues reported.

I will mention that if you've never experienced flex forks in the flesh you may be surprised when you do. Out of the box you cannot move them by hand. Once on the machine it takes body weight to move them. They are not the soft, floppy hinged rig some folks think they are. I think they serve a purpose, and do it well.

Rono5

Forum Newbie
Threads
One thing I've noticed is the seat is directly mounted on the hinged access cover to the battery and hydraulic motors. The only suspension is two small springs under the cover. I know they make a seat suspension kit, but, I figure when one buys a $7,000 mower, it should already be included.

I tried out a 3 yr old Fastrak today and was surprised by the rough bumpy ride. I think it was because there is a latch on the seat/access cover. That latch only allows the seat to travel up and down about an inch. That is not enough distance for the seat springs to work. It is was always bottoming out against the frame.

I can guess that such a poor setup has to do with some safety rule - Like if the mower rolls that seat could pop open against the rider.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Well again, it all comes down to the money that no one wants to spend.
A friend owns a small ( 2 man ) earth moving company.
Occasionally he brings in one of his skid steers for me to do work on the Kohler engine.
It is fitted with an aftermarket air ride seat which would be difficult to stay awake in as it is so comfortable.
Downside was it cost $ 1500.
They were so happy with it they bought 4 more for their other plant which includes a Toro reelmower converted to flail.
As they said $ 7500 is a lot cheaper than a kidney or spinal operation and in reallity it just means running the current plant a couple of extra years

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Hope you get a commission from all the extra sales hey will be making next week :thumbsup:

I wish. The only reason I found this is my brother was asking about a suspension seat and in my normal fashion of being very thorough I found air ride. So I started looking for that too. Well what do you know. There are a few companys that make them. Top of the line as you where talking about down to this one that gets good reviews.