12 hp B&S popping sound???

ckinney1

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a 94 toro riding mower with a 12hp B&S model 282707 series0119-01. It starts up and runs but has a popping like sound and seems to backfire through the carb. I have thoroughly cleaned the carb, new plug, checked for spark, checked the flywheel key alignment with the shaft, tried all kinds of adjusting on the carb and nothing has changed. What I have noticed the new pulg is black and seems to be damp and you can very easily spin the motor by hand. I think maybe it is a compression problem but am no expert maybe a valve or something. I have had the head off and it looks as if the valves open and close but like I said I am no expert. I am also at my wits end any help or advice would be appriciated. thank you

poncho62

Threads
How did your head gasket look?....could it have been leaking?

ckinney1

Forum Newbie
Threads
the gasket is worn somewhat don"t know if it is worn to the point of needing replacing or not. The problem is no place around here has parts for my mower so i have to order it online was planning on ordering a new headgasket when I order other parts I need this is a project mower I picked up for free.