Stihl FS45 string trimmer bump knob - cannot remove

dukerocks

Threads
I have a Stihl FS 45 string trimmer with a bump knob I cannot remove. I have used opposing pipe wrenches and it will not twist off. What has happened and better yet what do I have to do to get it off?

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
You are turning the knob to the left? Right?

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Errrr. Correct?

dukerocks

Threads
To the left, counterclockwise when you look at it. I have been refilling line for years. I'm not a newby, I'm 75 years old. Do we have any better suggestions? Thanks., Bob

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Yeah!!! Turn it to the left!!!!

If not possible, then you will have to cut off the plastic around the nut, which is housed in the knob.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Sucks, don't it?????

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
The cap has the plastic knob, a big nut inside, and a snap ring that keeps it inside...

If it won't unscrew, then you re screwed...... And have to put up with the silly comments of those that work on said,"KNOBS".........
Sux, don't it?????

dukerocks

Threads
I did get the plastic cut away from the nut on the bump knob. I am using a penitrating oil to soak around the nut over nite. My additional problem is when I tried the opposing pipe wrenches, I head something snap, and believe it is where the drive cable connects to the motor. I'll have to take the motor housing off to check that out because when I turn the nut, the cable just wants to spin freely. Maybe there is a broken wooddruff key, set screw in there???? I have got to stop the drive cable from spinning to unwrench the nut. Any suggestions? Bob

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
No, that flex cable was up there, and no matter what you try you will get anywhere up at the engine side.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Once you have it down to the nut, take it by a shop and let them tap it with an impact wrench.