Stihl FS45 string trimmer bump knob - cannot remove

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
You mean the spring that is supposed to be inside?

DSCN6224.jpg

Show a pic of the back side and inside of your black cutting head.

dukerocks

Threads
An impact would zip it off easily, which is why I suggest you do this. An air wrench, and an impact wrench, they are 2 totally different tools, drop by a Stihl dealer this morning, they probably wouldn't even charge you to try it.........

Got it all put back together, started it up, works fine, just need to get a new bump knob. Thanks for everyones input. Bob

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Works fine without the bump knob?

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Once you have it down to the nut, take it by a shop and let them tap it with an impact wrench.

Wow, this was post #10.....

dukerocks

Threads
Works fine without the bump knob?

Well NO, not quite, needs the NEW bump head to work perfect. I fueled it up, started the engine, everything is good. Again, thanks for all the help to everyone. Bob

gaalford

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Stihl FS45 string trimmer bump knob - cannot remove
I know this string is old but Im posting for anyone else that has this problem. My fs 45 is doing the exact same thing. Take a screw driver and pry the bump button off. take a grinder with a metal cutting blade or a hacksaw and cut a slot into the shaft. This will allow you to hold the shaft in place while turning the nut with a 3/4" inch wrench. For some reason the button seems to be clamping itself on the shaft of the housing and preventing it from turning. It's as if the bump button needs a spacer to prevent it from bottoming out. Even if you put it on loosely the button will tighten itself onto the shaft. I think it is going below the threads and that's why it doesn't twist back off. I bought a head from a tractor supplier that carried stihl products and it was supposed to be an exact fit. I'm going to cut a spacer from a plumbing tail piece tomorrow. Hopefully, this will work.

Jamesck

Forum Newbie
Threads
I know this string is old but Im posting for anyone else that has this problem. My fs 45 is doing the exact same thing. Take a screw driver and pry the bump button off. take a grinder with a metal cutting blade or a hacksaw and cut a slot into the shaft. This will allow you to hold the shaft in place while turning the nut with a 3/4" inch wrench. For some reason the button seems to be clamping itself on the shaft of the housing and preventing it from turning. It's as if the bump button needs a spacer to prevent it from bottoming out. Even if you put it on loosely the button will tighten itself onto the shaft. I think it is going below the threads and that's why it doesn't twist back off. I bought a head from a tractor supplier that carried stihl products and it was supposed to be an exact fit. I'm going to cut a spacer from a plumbing tail piece tomorrow. Hopefully, this will work.

Thanks! I read for an hour before I saw your post and now I am finished!

boydmiles

Threads
I know this is an old thread but it did tell me how to get the trimmer head off. I used the pry off the button method. Now why are they rounding out? Any way to prevent it from happening again?

dukerocks

Threads
Hi, do not have this machine any longer.

Thanks