Generator won't start

RobertBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
The spring is not connected in any way to the float. It's sole purpose is to keep the float frame tight to the gasket. The float itself has no spring, but does have a shut-off pin (item 105a in the diagram) that operates separately from the spring.
I can't find it in the parts description but 105a looks like the needle.
I think the spring is a gratuitous item ment to counteract vibration, extending the life of the bowl gasket.

mystreba

Threads
I can't find it in the parts description but 105a looks like the needle.
I think the spring is a gratuitous item ment to counteract vibration, extending the life of the bowl gasket.

Yes, 105a is the needle - I'm afraid I'm not very good with the terminology! But the spring isn't superfluous - it's an integral part of the assembly. See attached diagram - it's crude, but you get the idea. Although the bowl "shares" the gasket with the float frame, the bowl does not in fact hold the float frame tight against the gasket. So without the spring, gravity would make the float frame fall away from the gasket and rest in the bottom of the bowl.

I think this is poor design - the bowl itself should hold the float frame in place. And the design (bad as it is) is poorly executed since there is nothing to hold the spring in place - you cannot reattach the bowl unless the carburetor is upside down. There is nothing to hold the spring in the float frame recess, and nothing to hold the spring in place in the bowl, so gravity works against you.

(I've removed the float mechanism itself in order to simplify the diagram - it attaches to the float frame and pivots up and down independently)

Attachments

• carburetor.gif
    carburetor.gif
    4.9 KB · Views: 15

RobertBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
Yes, 105a is the needle - I'm afraid I'm not very good with the terminology! But the spring isn't superfluous - it's an integral part of the assembly. See attached diagram - it's crude, but you get the idea. Although the bowl "shares" the gasket with the float frame, the bowl does not in fact hold the float frame tight against the gasket. So without the spring, gravity would make the float frame fall away from the gasket and rest in the bottom of the bowl.

I think this is poor design - the bowl itself should hold the float frame in place. And the design (bad as it is) is poorly executed since there is nothing to hold the spring in place - you cannot reattach the bowl unless the carburetor is upside down. There is nothing to hold the spring in the float frame recess, and nothing to hold the spring in place in the bowl, so gravity works against you.

(I've removed the float mechanism itself in order to simplify the diagram - it attaches to the float frame and pivots up and down independently)

That makes finding a replacement bowl with a drain that much harder. I was going to suggest using a micrometer to measure the diameter and if it's the same as mine you could order that part for your machine. They both are briggs motors. But it's got to be the correct depth in order for the spring design to function properly.....I think.