X500 Replacement Battery

mickiemac

Forum Newbie
Threads
Greetings!

I purchased a JD X500 in May 2006 and last week the battery finally breathed it's last. I tried to start it and the instrument lights would flash and a clunking sound would occur when turning the key. With about 8 years of service the battery was in need of replacement.

I called my dealer and they obtained a JD Strongbox battery to replace the dead one. I did some research and it appears that JD has both the Strongbox and Performance series batteries. I guess the Strongbox is a bit better - I don't really know that much about them but the price (135.99) was a shock as I expected the price of a new battery to be around $80.00 or so.

Anyway, I installed the new battery, let the engine run a bit, then commenced to mowing to ensure all was well.

I guess I got my monies worth out of the original battery and hope the new one will last as long.

fairw21611

Forum Newbie
Threads
I bought our JD X520 in July 2006 so based on your timing, I suppose I'll be in the market for a new battery soon myself. Quite frankly I'm surprised it has lasted this long after sitting idle in a cold shed from November - March each year.

I may just go ahead and proactively find a replacement at Auto Zone or Advance and see if I can save a few bucks....

Retiredcarguy

Threads
Eight (8) years is quite good for any vehicle battery. Periodic charging with a battery maintainer (trickle charger) when not in use, will add to that life. My 2005 JD X575 OE battery is holding its own, but I will also expect to exchange it by next winter.

jgayman01

Threads
That sounds about right. JD parts is showing it as $112.36 with a core return. I'm not sure if there are many generic replacements out there as this is a BC151, 500 CCA / 70 RC battery.

foresthilljohn

Forum Newbie
Threads
I just bought a Duracell group 51 battery from Sam's Club for $100. Exact same dimensions as original battery. Specs seem to match also. They also sell a group 51R battery, but that puts the positive terminal on the wrong side in the mower. I also found group 51 batteries at Tractor Supply and Napa Auto Parts. Same thing, stay away from the group 51R. Thought the turnover at Sam's Club would be better and would get a recently made battery. It is February 2018, and the battery is stamped December 2017. That's good enough for me. Battery fit perfect and no problem starting the mower.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I bought our JD X520 in July 2006 so based on your timing, I suppose I'll be in the market for a new battery soon myself. Quite frankly I'm surprised it has lasted this long after sitting idle in a cold shed from November - March each year.

I may just go ahead and proactively find a replacement at Auto Zone or Advance and see if I can save a few bucks....

One of dad's favourite sayings was "he who buys cheap pays thrice"
Lawn mower batteries are very different to car batteries as they go into a body that has no suspension.
As such they are exposed to sharp shock loadings which cause the battery grid to fracture and fall to the bottom of the case.
Each cell has 3 to 5 grids in parallel so the battery will still show 13V but looses capacity.
Naturally the more grids that fall off the less capacity the battery has.

BEcause a mower battery discharges quickly and recharges slowly the chemical composition of the mower battery is different to that of a car battery
The same applies with standing time.
Starting batteries like in your car will charge up to 14.5 V and hold that for about a week but after a month may be too flat to start your car.
A mower battery can not go over 14 V but will hold 13 V for months a charasteric of storeage batteries.

At the battery factory every battery is carefully tested before they are branded.
The cheaper the battery, the lower the quality of the battery.
Note this is the factory wholesale price which may or may not be reflected in the retail price.

Thus the battery sold by the mower shops with a mowe brand on them will usually always be better than a one with a battery company's name on it from a discount store.

By far the best battery will be a AGM ( Adsorbent glass matt ) PVR (pressure valve regulated ) battery, they are also the most expensive.
And the top of these are the spiral cell AGM PVR batteries fitted std to some Toro commercial mowers.

TJR345

Threads
I just replaced a battery in my 345.I called around and JD was $8 cheaper then Napa and Auto zone. $3-4 more than Walmart and TS.So I went with the JD again,this is only my second in 20 years.:thumbsup: