New Raptor SD clutch rattle

mjn9222

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi everyone
I just picked up my new Raptor SD today and stated mowing my yard and everything was great but as I was coming close to finishing the yard my clutch started to rattle. It sounded like everything was about to fall off. Has anyone had the happen?

Kremeneon

Threads
Yes, see post 101 in the SD Recall thread, mine is doing/ did the same thing.

Tta197

Threads
I glued a small piece of metal in between the anchor and the clutch itself about .060 thick. Just enough to get rid of the clutch movement at the anchor. I noticed this when I did the service bulletin for the extra washer under the bolt of the clutch.
Again poor QC on Hustler's part. It's a new mower and I've had to fix this along with the loose belt.:thumbdown:

chemingthroughtheleather

Threads
Tta...You need a special title from Hustler,possibly Field QC Manager....really appreciate your explanations and ideas to assure spec. performance and long life! Happy Fathers Day to all!:thumbsup:

Tta197

Threads
Tta...You need a special title from Hustler,possibly Field QC Manager....really appreciate your explanations and ideas to assure spec. performance and long life! Happy Fathers Day to all!:thumbsup:

Thanks! Hopefully this will be the end of the problems we encounter with this machine.

chemingthroughtheleather

Threads
If you got time to post pics of what exactly you did with the piece of metal........again you have my vote for Field QC Manager!At least those of us who are mechanically challenged could be more informed when we discuss issues with dealer.:smile:

Tta197

Threads
If you got time to post pics of what exactly you did with the piece of metal........again you have my vote for Field QC Manager!At least those of us who are mechanically challenged could be more informed when we discuss issues with dealer.:smile:

This is how I added a shim to the clutch anchor. See picture

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 399

Eric21

Threads
How is the shim working? Did the dealer not have a fix for the rattle? Mine is doing the same thing.

chemingthroughtheleather

Threads
From my experience the rattle (when blades are engaged) comes from too much play in the spring.I don't like the shaking but too cheap to buy new spring which apparently is much more robust with more tension.This is on my "to do" list.My mower continues to be a workhorse,I'm a Happy Hustler owner!:thumbsup:

Tta197

Threads
My SD is doing good with the shim glued on the anchor and the heavier spring. When I turn the blades on, the deck is smooth with no shake. It did shake pretty bad with oem spring when the blades were first engaged. The main the thing is to not over do it on tension if you go with a heavier spring, that belt needs to flex some.
By the way, I used red high temp rtv to glue that piece of shim on.