New Raptor SD clutch rattle

mhavanti

Threads
Thanks fan45acp.

By the way, what is your 45acp of choice?

Mine is a 1911 I won in a competition. It is was built in 1910.

I have had many 1911A1 both military and civilians.

Great pistols.

Thanks for the information, Sir.

Max

fan45acp

Threads
Thanks fan45acp.

By the way, what is your 45acp of choice?

Mine is a 1911 I won in a competition. It is was built in 1910.

I have had many 1911A1 both military and civilians.

Great pistols.

Thanks for the information, Sir.

Max

Max, Grew up with 1911's like them. Love them or hate them I'll usually carry either a Glock 36 or Glock 30S. A Springfield XDS in 45acp is also in my carry rotation, all carred in a MTAC IWB. Max your very welcome for the contact information.

Kremeneon

Threads
I still have the clutch rattle and have not heard anything lately from hustler on a long term fix.

mhavanti

Threads
My mower was returned to me when it was extra cold, which it still is, thus I have not engaged the clutch on mine. Until there is something to power load it, I don't think it would be a tell until then.

Will keep you all informed.

I can say a Dealer gets all huffy when he gets a call from Hustler. Although the dealer was put in a bad light, some are just this way in a small town situation, no matter if you're patting them on the back.

Kremeneon

Threads
I took advantage of a few minutes free time over winter to make a very nice anti-rattle shim out of an ~3" piece of 1/2" copper pipe. When pounded flat it was about exactly the correct width and thickness to fill the cap between the anchor and clutch notch. I bent it into a J to wrap around the top of the anchor finger and slide down past the gap at the clutch notch. I then bent the excess around the bottom of the anchor finger to lock it in place. It leaves about .040 gap for the anchor and clutch to move, but not enough room to build up speed and rattle audibly. I figured copper would be a good choice as a shim between two steel pieces being a much softer and cushioning metal, as well as the ease of forming it.

I took it for the inaugural spin on Saturday and there is no more rattle. Love it.

mooch91

Threads
I took advantage of a few minutes free time over winter to make a very nice anti-rattle shim out of an ~3" piece of 1/2" copper pipe. When pounded flat it was about exactly the correct width and thickness to fill the cap between the anchor and clutch notch. I bent it into a J to wrap around the top of the anchor finger and slide down past the gap at the clutch notch. I then bent the excess around the bottom of the anchor finger to lock it in place. It leaves about .040 gap for the anchor and clutch to move, but not enough room to build up speed and rattle audibly. I figured copper would be a good choice as a shim between two steel pieces being a much softer and cushioning metal, as well as the ease of forming it.

I took it for the inaugural spin on Saturday and there is no more rattle. Love it.

Can you post any pictures? Thanks!

Kremeneon

Threads
Can you post any pictures? Thanks!

Pics from my mow last night, can't really see the top, but it is bent over like a J, around the top and part way down the back of the anchor. It may look tight but the clutch can still move around, a business card can slip easily in there when you spin the clutch to one side.

RDS54_Kremer_Clutch_bumper_bottom.jpgRDS54_Kremer_Clutch_bumper_top.jpg

Nutcase2be

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have had my RSD 54 for about a month now and love it. I did notice the rattle and looked on here to find what was being said about it. The copper sounds like a good idea. I have a plastic zip tie around mine, for now :tongue: but it keeps it quite. I am definitely interested in the Hustler fix. Going to have to give my dealer a call. Thanks for the pics.

Kremeneon

Threads
Last night the copper shim I made fell off while mowing the 1.5ac behind my house. I was unable to locate it but I noticed the return of rattle immediately when it was gone. My best guess is that since the anchor arm and clutch notch are nearly level at the bottom bend of my shim, the hammering action slowly straightened the bend out and it eventually popped off the top.

For anti-vibration shim #2 I am going to remove the anchor and slip an uncut piece of copper over the while finger part, leaving nothing to come loose. Will report back with pics.