Hustler Raptor SD or John Deere Z445 for Small Business?

bpoole40

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Hustler Raptor SD or John Deere Z445 for Small Business?
Hello everyone.. I want to start a small lawn care business (5-10 yards at first) and was curious if The Hustler Raptor SD would perform and hold up for what I'm wanting to do. A local business has the Raptor SD 60' deck, 24HP Kawasaki engine, and fabricated deck for 4,499. All salesmen have told me that it is not built for commercial use at all. I'm aware of that, but wanted to know if you guys have used these for a small lawn care business. I have also looked at the John Deere Z445 , but was told the same. My problems is that I cant afford to shell out big money for a commercial mower at this time. I appreciate any help or suggestions.. Thanks..

RetiredGuns

Threads
Some are going to say buy a used commercial machine, some will tell you to save up for what you need, etc.. If I had to choose between the 2 you listed it would be the Hustler. Seems like you may be talking 300+ hours a year so you might get by for 2-3 seasons if you take good care of the mower. By that time you hopefully you've save up enough to buy up!

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Hello everyone.. I want to start a small lawn care business (5-10 yards at first) and was curious if The Hustler Raptor SD would perform and hold up for what I'm wanting to do. A local business has the Raptor SD 60' deck, 24HP Kawasaki engine, and fabricated deck for 4,499. All salesmen have told me that it is not built for commercial use at all. I'm aware of that, but wanted to know if you guys have used these for a small lawn care business. I have also looked at the John Deere Z445 , but was told the same. My problems is that I cant afford to shell out big money for a commercial mower at this time. I appreciate any help or suggestions.. Thanks..

For a small business the Hustler will do you a fine job. The RSD has the 2800 drives that will give you years of service. The Kawasaki engine will also give you years of service if you change the oil and filter every 50 hours. The sales guys are just trying to talk you into spending more money by telling you it's not for commercial use. I'd buy the RSD and use it until you could afford a commercial unit and then keep for a back up mower.