Mower deck Anyone still have a Honda H4518HSA?

KJINTF

Threads
I purchased a Honda H4518 riding mower in 1996 - been a great engine and transmission
The problem is the cutting deck belt drive system

Anyone out there have one of these machines and want to discuss the issue
Sure could use some suggestions

Attachments

• DSC02276.JPG
    DSC02276.JPG
    236.4 KB · Views: 75

KJINTF

Threads
I guess no one has one of these nice Honda machines anymore

joeb

Forum Newbie
Threads
I do. Bought new in 2000. Great machine...wish I could find rear tires that don't cost a fortune!

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
I purchased a Honda H4518 riding mower in 1996 - been a great engine and transmission
The problem is the cutting deck belt drive system

Anyone out there have one of these machines and want to discuss the issue
Sure could use some suggestions

What deck do you have??
What problems are there with your deck...
This site has... Exploded view and parts list for 38" deck shafts and pulleys
Exploded view and parts list for 42" deck shafts and pulleys
Exploded view and parts list for 46" deck shafts and pulleys

Plano Power Equipment Online Store - Honda H4518HSA Common Parts

There are bound to be many of them out there... :smile:KennyV

KJINTF

Threads
I had given up
Glad to see a response
38" deck on a Honda H4518HSA
Purchased new in 1996

The MAJOR issue I have with the machine is that the PTO drive belt self destructs after 25 to 30 hours of cutting time and at $60 or so per belt not a good thing. I installed a hours meter hooked to the PTO control to know exactly how many hours. The machine has been destroying belts from day one. I took it to three different Honda dealers early on to no avail - not one of them could figured it out. They all told me things I already knew about belt tension etc and questioned my abilities.

A few weeks ago I saw there was a service bulletin that replaced the Tensioner arm with one which is bent to a different angle. I ordered the part a few weeks back but have not yet received it. Honda service bulletin #21 H4518HSA BELT TENSIONER ARM dated June 1996. Part # 75520-758-900AH. My arm is a 75520-758-800 without the bend. Wondering why the Honda dealers were not aware of the issues over the years I took it in for expensive service. Now I do 100% of my own service

I do like the engine and transmission only issue has been the poor cutting deck and really bad designed PTO drive belt system. A belt that bends backwards and around corners - Kind of a kludge at best

I upgraded to a shaft driven Kubota Diesel ZD326 with a 60" deck and LOVE it WOW what a difference. The Honda took 3.5 hours the Kubota takes 45 minutes. The blade cutting speed is three times and does a much better job

The Honda has been relegeted to a simple garden tractor which tows a small trailer around for the garden until I get the proper Tensioner arm assembly

Thanks for the offer of the manuals
I have all the factory shop manuals, Operator manuals and parts manuals for the machine both hard copy and PDF format

joeb

Forum Newbie
Threads
42" deck, which has served us very well. Year 9 had all bearings for blades replaced and I believe one pulley as well. The mower deck belt typically lasts 2 - 3 years (+/- 80 hrs./year). About two years in, I was fortunate a local Honda dealer clued me in on the belt tensioner arm design flaw...once the new part went on the drive belt wear problem was solved. I refused to pay $60 for a belt from Honda...so switched to a high grade automotive belt (B105 for my set-up) and just replaced last week after about four years (over 300 hours). Not bad for a $20 belt. You should be set when you get the bent pulley arm installed. My only challenge currently is where to find replacement tires for less than an arm and leg...why did Honda go with a unique size? Seat is showing a little wear...maybe I'll stumble across a replacement seat somewhere that's also reasonably priced. This is Honda 'power equipment' stuff...why do the prices seem like Honda 'marine'? Yeah, would love to upgrade to reduce cut time by more than half, but my wife who cuts at least half the time has blocked the funds to replace a perfectly sound mower that she's comfortable using. Also have some steeper slopes that the 4518 is mows like a billy goat...so even when I get larger, zero-turn I plan to keep this workhorse for special duty.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
... not one of them could figured it out. They all told me things I already knew about belt tension etc and questioned my abilities.

A few weeks ago I saw there was a service bulletin that replaced the Tensioner arm with one which is bent to a different angle.
... Wondering why the Honda dealers were not aware of the issues over the years I took it in for expensive service. Now I do 100% of my own service
Yes I know what you are saying about do it yourself... and then you know that the person doing the work actually cares that the job is done right...
From what Joeb said it looks like the new design tensioner will work ... and there is no mower that has a belt 'worth' $60... I have always measured my belts and went to industrial supply house for, usually a superior belt at a fourth the cost of OEM... that was before internet... now you can buy very high quality belts on line for a tenth of oem...

Shaft drive is a FAR better design... just costs more than a belt drive system... Post back with the results of the proper belt system... finally after years... :smile:KennyV

KJINTF

Threads
joeb

I am looking forward to getting 80 plus hours on a $20 belt
Sure is better than 25 or so hours on a $60 belt

Where did you get your belt?

I did some research a while back and was not able to find one that fit the machine
Guess my "research" was not good enough
Don't get me wrong I do like the Honda machine and have no plans of getting rid of it. The current plan is to use it for the smaller areas of the lawn. Check it out 3 plus acres of mostly flat lawn - takes me 45 minutes every morning to get the Elk, Deer, Turkey, somtimes bear and my dogs poop off "MY" lawn, not theirs. Way can't they go in the forest rather than on the lawn?

Speaking of tires the Kubota being a Zero turn tears up the lawn when turning tight if you are not careful new tires with too much tread, plus 1,750lb machine without me on top another 220lbs. My Honda tires all four of them are still in great shape not even any age cracks at least none that are easily seen. The machine has always been stored in a covered heated enviorment. I was not aware the rear tires were a unique size guess all Honda and Kubota parts are unique and expensive. Yesterday I picked up a few spin on filters for the new Kubota the engine oil fitler, HST Tramsmission spin on filter, the Charge Pump spin on filter and finally the air cleaner outside element Grand total $145.00!!!! Changed the synthetic oil and Friction modifier in the Jeep Overland front differential $30/quart 75w-140 synth MOPAR stuff 2 quarts needed and $8.00 for 4 oz of FM, everything is getting out of control. My retirement "wages" are suffering, O well it's a wonderful day and life is good

KennyV
Yes indeed doing the job correctly by yourself is indeed the way to go - never again will any dealer touch my machine

Attachments

• DSC02382.jpg
    DSC02382.jpg
    216.7 KB · Views: 32

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
These Wix filters are great cross For your Kubota, Outer Air filter 49978, Inner Air filter 49968 & Engine Oil 51334... unfortunately there is no hydraulic filter cross.
As for belts if yours is the same belt (B105), as joeb has, it's $10.15 from:
Bestorq Online V-Belts Purchase Page
They have very good belts...
Do your own work & find good sources for parts... :smile:KennyV

PS... I like your view...not much of that look around Kansas...

KJINTF

Threads
KennyV

Thanks - the belt place looks interesting
I was not aware of them
I have looked at several wix filters good filters about the same price as the Kubotas

Sorry to hear no such views in Kansas
Western Montana has a few views - Sometimes when I am mowing I space out looking at the views once a few years back while looking at the surroundings I crashed into a tree with the Honda cost me $85.00 for a new headlight assembly. This place is about 10 miles out the back yard we do indeed have nice views.

Attachments

• DSC03028.jpg
    DSC03028.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 23