Cub Cadet mower blade nuts

jross

Threads
I am now in the process of working on the deck the Cub Cadet 1600 that was given to me. I have been heating the blade nuts and squirting PB Blaster on them and still cannot get them loose. I am now considering just cutting them loose with a Moto-Tool. I do not want to beat them with a maul because I think the spindles are still ok. Any suggestions? The deck has been repaired by welding which I intend to grind off and patch with heavy sheet metal on both sides.

173abn

Threads
jross,keep soaking them with PBlaster and if you have an air impact wrench then you should have no problem getting them off...russ

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
jross,keep soaking them with PBlaster and if you have an air impact wrench then you should have no problem getting them off...russ

When I was younger and couldn't afford an air impact wrench, I had pretty good success at breaking loose rusted fittings by using a SNUG fitting wrench and a section of pipe slipped over the wrench, or whacking the free end of the wrench with a section of 2X4. It also helps the penetrating oil soak into the threads if you tap on the head of the bolt or side of the nut with a plactic tip hammer, the vibration helps the oil soak in.

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
Does anyone know if they happen to be left handed threads ?

jross

Threads

Looking down at the blades, they rotate in a counter clockwise direction, indicating they are right hand threads.

173abn

Threads
if you don't have an air impact wrench then agreed a "helper " is your best bet.try using a box end wrench and liberal amts. of the blaster. russ

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads

I don't think Cub Cadet ever did that ... there are some others that have...
Impact wrench will get it like russ suggests ..:smile:KennyV

Jetblast

Threads
It was that same job that caused me to go down to Harbor Freight and get a Chicago 1/2" electric impact wrench ten years ago. The blade nuts came right off and I've been using it ever since for this, and for rotating tires on various vehicles. If you don't have an air compressor it's a good and cheap way to get the job done. Lots of good reviews on that product, it's one of their better items.

Definitely a standard thread on those. Counter-clockwise to remove.

BTW I got the first blade nut off by jamming a wood scrap between the blade and the deck to prevent rotation, then I hit the handle of a huge Crescent wrench with a rubber mallet. It cost nothing and it worked, but I didn't see myself doing that forever so I sprang for the HF wrench.

poncho62

Threads
Impact gun is the best way.....If you dont want to buy one, just take it to a local garage to get them off.....Then from now on, make sure they are taken off every year to keep them undoable...(is that a word?)

glennsjr

Threads
Good advice above with impact wrench, I put never-seize on threads and also where the washer on the nut contacts the blade. That will help you the next time. Also I wouldn't put the nuts on with the impact.