Cub Cadet mower blade nuts

Jetblast

Threads
Also I wouldn't put the nuts on with the impact.

But what if I'm selling the mower to someone I don't like? :biggrin: Cub says 70-100 ft. lbs. of torque for reinstallation, which translates to "fairly darned tight" using the TLAR (that looks about right) method.

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Impact gun is the best way.....If you dont want to buy one, just take it to a local garage to get them off.....Then from now on, make sure they are taken off every year to keep them undoable...(is that a word?)

The closest Websters comes to that word "undoable" is "undouble"....close enough, we get your meaning.....:thumbsup:

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
But what if I'm selling the mower to someone I don't like? :biggrin: Cub says 70-100 ft. lbs. of torque for reinstallation, which translates to "fairly darned tight" using the TLAR (that looks about right) method.

90-95 foot-pounds is about what the torque for most lug nuts is for cars...if that helps.

mjw357

Threads
I use a 24" long 1/2" drive breaker bar to remove and install. Use an old 2x4 to block the blade. I don't go crazy when tightening. Just good and snug, ease off, then one quick pull to get a little 'creak' telling me it's tight enough.

I agree with the other post about just taking it somewhere to get the nuts busted loose. Throw the deck in the pickup, go to a tire shop even, they should be able to take care of you.

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
Lisle Impact Tool Set (3/8 inch Drive) - A specialty tool with bark and bite! - 3/8" Hand Impact Tool Set - Epinions.com

Link to Hand Impact Tool review -- by Lisle

I had one at one time, but I guess one of the renters I had years ago liked the tool :frown: -
only problem I see is that it is 3/8" drive and not 1/2", but the one I had was sturdy enough to handle large 3/8" drive sockets. The hammer strike and torque at the same time sometimes worked better than an impact wrench.

I haven't done enough research to find one similar in 1/2"

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Air OR electric Impact is best ... BUT if you can block the blade and get a good shot at it with one of these...
Impact Screwdriver Set with Case
This will also work... just not as well . :smile:KennyV

jross

Threads
Got em off with my friends Dewalt impact gun. Unfortunately I used it to remove the spindle bolts , most of which broke off. Some MTD spindles appear to be identical to the 1600 Cub Cadet spindle. Could they be interchanged?

Last edited:

Jetblast

Threads
Got em off with my friends Dewalt impact gun. Unfortunately I used it to remove the spindle bolts , most of which broke off. Some MTD spindles appear to be identical to the 1600 Cub Cadet spindle. Could they be interchanged?

Good deal. The only thing better than having an impact wrench, boat, or country cabin is having a friend with an impact wrench, boat, or country cabin.

As long as the mounting bolt patterns, shaft lengths and diameters, and pulley mounting heights above the deck spec out just like the spindles you're replacing, I don't see why not. Buying from someone with a fair return policy would be good insurance just in case you miss something.

Jetblast

Threads
Short Version: A few messages up from here, "glennsjr" said don't use the impact wrench to reinstall the blade nuts. Good advice.

Long Version: I just swapped out my stock high-lift blades for Oregon Gator 3-in-1 blades, and since laying under the mower with the front end up in the air wasn't feeling good on my creaky joints, I decided I'd use my electric impact wrench to tighten the blade nuts up just until they barely seated, then torque them tighter from there. That was a mistake because they all ended up way too tight. I'm sure I could do it better given another shot, but I'd have to rely on eyeballs more than feel.

The upshot was this. During normal installation you can hit recommended torque with hand tools just by holding the blades from turning with your other hand and get it done quick-like, however after screwing this up I had use a piece of wood between the blades and the deck to get them loosened enough so that I could torque them up correctly. Getting the wood in the right spot for each blade and turning the nut means using both hands, while laying on the back, and it took more time in the jungle than I'd have liked. I might as well have dropped and flipped the "Super Easy To Remove Deck" It's easy to remove, but reinstalling it is like landing a fighter on an aircraft carrier at night when you desperately need to go to the bathroom.

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
Off topic, but Jetblast -- I like your avatar
JazzAvatar.jpgJazz Avitar.jpgLove that Face4.jpg
:biggrin: