RSD exhaust burning lawn?

mooch91

Threads
On occasion I need to stop and take a break while mowing for a few seconds, perhaps to pick up a couple of items off the lawn. I keep the RSD running during this time. I've noticed a few burn spots around the yard where I've done this; they don't show up immediately, but always a couple of days later. Anyone else having this issue? Common with these types of mowers?

Thanks!

kielby

Forum Newbie
Threads
My 48" Raptor SD does this too. I contacted Hustler and they said to get in touch with my dealer to get a heat shield for it. My dealer did order the part (he called it an exhaust baffle I think) but he hasn't received it yet. I wasn't able to get a clear answer if there is an extra cost for this part of if it is covered by the warranty. I'll push back if they try to charge for it since it's pretty broken to be unable to park your mower for 30 seconds in one spot.

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
My 48" Raptor SD does this too. I contacted Hustler and they said to get in touch with my dealer to get a heat shield for it. My dealer did order the part (he called it an exhaust baffle I think) but he hasn't received it yet. I wasn't able to get a clear answer if there is an extra cost for this part of if it is covered by the warranty. I'll push back if they try to charge for it since it's pretty broken to be unable to park your mower for 30 seconds in one spot.

I read some posts a while back where some Ariens & Gravely models had this problem(burning grass when sittin still for a period of time). As I recall, the dealers installed heat shields for the mufflers at no cost to the owners. It seems some ZTR models sit so close to the ground a heat shield in the engine compartment for the muffler is a "necessity". My Gravely came standard with one. I too would push back if the dealer/Hustler doesn't consider this a warranted problem.

mooch91

Threads

Please send a picture of this heat shield when you get it installed and get a chance...
Thanks!

JohnCardin

Threads
Please send a picture of this heat shield when you get it installed and get a chance...
Thanks!

Yes. In for pics. I've had a few spots get burned and would like to see the solution. I'll be emailing my dealer tomorrow.

kielby

Forum Newbie
Threads
My dealer is still waiting for the part. Not really sure what the delay is, but it's been over a month.

JohnCardin

Threads
Per their facebook rep. My 54" RSD takes "120564 Muffler Shield Kit" I guess I'll contact my rep and see what the cost is.

mooch91

Threads
Their technical support gave me 119616 as the part number for my 54" RSD when I called early last week...

RaptorSD

Threads
Any pics of the shield? I'm having a problem with this as well.

kielby

Forum Newbie
Threads
OK dealer dropped by my house today and installed the shield. Here are some pics from various angles:

IMAG0363.jpg

IMAG0364.jpg

IMAG0365.jpg

IMAG0368.jpg

IMAG0369.jpg

It's the black piece of metal mounted under the muffler to the frame with a couple of bolts.