Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Mower
    Hustler Raptor SD 60"

Re: RSD exhaust burning lawn?

That is the dirtiest that rascal has been after a mowing. It is always cleaned with water, blown off and then garaged and kept out of the sun. I haven't added the lights, the fans, oil coolers and the flex oil drain hose yet.

Mower
    Hustler Raptor SD54, John Deere 100

Quote Originally Posted by 577jersey View Post
    I wash and spray wax mine once a week and blow it off after every cut...

Tom
    You sir have way too much time on your hands.

Mower
    Hustler RSD 54"FR Kawi,Bobcat 48" Belt Kawi FS powered,Husky 22" RWD Honda Powered

Quote Originally Posted by gasjr4wd View Post
    You sir have way too much time on your hands.
    hahaha,i actually havenít washed it in a few weeks cause its going into the shop soon and Hustler needs to take a pic of the leaky pump so i can get a new one..lol..usually just swing through the car wash and hit it with the wand,spray wax,and rinse..comes out nice..i also put protectant on my plastics in the Summer,seat,hoses,engine shroud ect...cant hurt.Remember,Im going to try and get 1000 hours out of this mower lol :)

Mower
    Troy-Bilt

Trying to order a heat shield, and I'm getting part no 120562 and 120564. Are they the same, and do all Raptor heat shields fit all sizes of Raptor? (I have the SD 60)

Thanks!!!

PS: I have mostly centipede grass, and there are no scorching problems unless I stop. I have an area of bermuda grass that the mower is causing brown streaks, even though I never stop. Just going fairly slow and making normal turns is enough to overheat the grass!

Mower
    Troy-Bilt

Quote Originally Posted by Have_Blue View Post
    Trying to order a heat shield, and I'm getting part no 120562 and 120564. Are they the same, and do all Raptor heat shields fit all sizes of Raptor? (I have the SD 60)

Never mind. I had a rainy day, so I made my own heat shield out of a sturdy 16"x16" aluminum plate. We will see if my patch of bermuda recovers and if the grass clippings collected by the shield catch fire.

Mower
    Hustler Raptor SD54, John Deere 100

Quote Originally Posted by Have_Blue View Post
    Never mind. I had a rainy day, so I made my own heat shield out of a sturdy 16"x16" aluminum plate. We will see if my patch of bermuda recovers and if the grass clippings collected by the shield catch fire.
    picts?!
    Last edited by gasjr4wd; 06-05-2017 at 08:11 PM.

Mower
    Hustler Raptor

I'm interested to see the DIY shield. Any rattle? I am new to ztr with my first being the raptor. Def burned grass while picking up twigs and kids toys.

Mower
    Troy-Bilt

Quote Originally Posted by superformance View Post
    I'm interested to see the DIY shield. Any rattle? I am new to ztr with my first being the raptor. Def burned grass while picking up twigs and kids toys.
    No rattle, it's pretty solid. Doubt it works, however. :(

I have found a problem I haven't come across on the forum, so I'm re-thinking the entire issue:

Radiant heat from the hot muffler does not appear to be the cause of the scorching. It appears to be the flywheel fan causing most of the damage, not the muffler. The air blowing downward from the engine is very hot. Pictures of muffler shield I have seen do not appear they would solve the problem.

This would not be a concern to me if it scorched grass only when the mower lingered too long in 1 place. However, it scorches when the mower is on the move. Sometimes you have to make slow, gentle turns in tight quarters to prevent skid marks on soft ground. It should not scorch the grass simply going slowly, but it does on my bermuda.

Unless someone tells me their muffler shield truly helps, I'll just have to mow at top speed to prevent scorching.

Note: Due to more investigation, I have edited out some of my false assumptions.
    Last edited by Have_Blue; 06-06-2017 at 01:19 PM.

Mower
    Big Dog Alpha MP

I remember reading about over filling the gas tank and fuel leaks. I found this after a quick search. See post #5 < clickable link

Mower
    Hustler Raptor SD 54"

I bought the muffler shield after mowing with the RSD for the first time. I had some burnt spots in the grass from stopping. After the shield no issues. It should be standard on the RSD, not an extra option.