RSD exhaust burning lawn?

577jersey

Threads
BigMks,

Snag you a scrap piece of aluminum from some soffit - facia - guttering company and ask them to bend it for you. You can then drill the holes and cut the tabs to fit your unit and probably won't have more than five bucks in it bolts and all.

Max
Yeah thats a good idea,it doesnt even have to look pretty..if mine ever rusts out im doing that for sure,i have a small brake here :)

mhavanti

Threads
Takes a long time for the aluminum to go away. If you bend it, doesn't do much damage to the mower like steel.

rdacus

Forum Newbie
Threads
I contacted Hustler direct via e-mail and just asked for the part number and the rep responded with the number and warning about the grass build up. With in a day or two my dealer called me about the shield and ordered one at no charge.

BoylermanCT

Threads
Nice - no charge! My dealer would not spring for that, even when I brought in photos of the burn spots in the lawn. So I paid for the heat shield and solved my problem.

Grass build up in the shield has never been an issue. I use the blower on my RSD after every mowing, and I have never had any grass in the shield area.

MikeRSD54

Threads
I know this is an older thread, but I thought I might update you guys on this issue. After mowing a full year with my SD last year, I decided I needed the shield before mowing season starts this year. Called Hustler direct again, and pretty much got the same response. Called dealer again, and apparently there have been a few more reports of this and even though he wasn't able to cover it under warranty, I was able to get it at dealer cost, about 33 bucks out the door.

I will be equally relieved to shield the hydros from the radiant heat and it will be nice not to have to park my mower in the driveway when taking a break. On a side note, there is a guy on ebay selling engine guards for 50 bucks or best offer, I picked mine up for 40 plus shipping. Plan on installing both when the muffler shield comes in.

mhavanti

Threads
Mike,

Glad to hear you got a great deal on your heat shield and engine guard. You'll be well served by them.

Send us all some photos when they're in place.

Also, come on over to Facebook and join the Hustler Mower Owners Group. We're planning for the GIE-EXPO in October 2019 trip.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/HustlerMowerOwners/

Max

Dino62

Forum Newbie
Threads
Has anyone tried using an automotive type heat shield on the muffler itself ? The type that can wrap around the muffler. It might be just as good as the factory heat shield and cheaper.

Kremeneon

Threads
Has anyone tried using an automotive type heat shield on the muffler itself ? The type that can wrap around the muffler. It might be just as good as the factory heat shield and cheaper.

I'd be concerned that the heat wrap type fabric stuff would catch debris, then become an actual fire risk. I have had ZERO issues since installing my factory heat shield. It doesn't catch or hold a speck of grass or debris, and I have not left a burn spot anywhere on the lawn.

clubairth

Threads
I have also installed the exhaust heat shield on my RSD54 after noticing brown spots in the yard. If I had not read about that on this forum I would never have tied the two together!

No grass build up and this plus the engine guard should really be on all Raptors.

Hostil1

Forum Newbie
Threads

I already had a partial roll of the exhaust header wrap so this spring I wrapped the muffler. I had high hopes but it still left burn spots.