RSD......Spindle Lub?

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
I don't like this,just how often to replace bearings then?

Many lower end machines have sealed non serviceable deck spindles. I'm not sure where Hustler makes the change to serviceable spindles, but my Hustler X-ONE has serviceable spindles that are cast iron.
Generally when a spindle bearing starts to fail it will get noisy. When you change blades you can inspect the spindles for radial play and seal condition. I wouldn't be that concerned about the spindles, use but don't abuse you machine and it will have a substantial life. Hustler considers these spindles to be replaced as an assembly and doesn't show any breakdown for the spindle in the parts manual for the Raptor SD model.
Mad Mackie in CT:laughing::biggrin::smile:

Last edited:

chemingthroughtheleather

Threads
I'll add this to my want list along with a better "fuel gauge",and heavier spindle covers.Still love the mower.:smile:

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
I don't like this,just how often to replace bearings then?

More and more manufacturers are going to the sealed bearings(wheels and blade spindles) and it sometimes stirs up quite a controversy. There have been significant advances in the design and materials used in sealed bearings over the last few years and their longevity greatly increased. I, too, was accustomed to a lawn tractor that had greases zerks in the blade spindles and I religiously lubed them every 25 hours. When I began shopping ZTR's in the summer of 2012 I found that MANY of the higher quality(Commercial) ZTR's had sealed bearings and was quite disappointed that you could not perform maintenance on something so important(especially on such expensive mowers). I asked almost every dealer why and the resounding response was that not only were the sealed bearings just as good....but that for years some manufacturers were actually adding grease zerks on spindles that contained "sealed bearings". The Gravely dealer mechanic actually showed me a spindle that they had rebuilt and indeed the original bearings that were removed were completely sealed and the grease zerks only filled the spindle cavity around the bearings and never touched an actual bearing. He told me the manufacturers were doing that because the consumers demanded grease zerks and that the addition of them was nothing more than a placebo to satisfy consumers who insisted on maintaining their spindles. And I got this same story from 4-5 different dealers as well as on forums like this. The more I researched this the more I was convinced that sealed bearings were not a concern. The Gravely mechanic assured me that the life expectancy on the sealed bearings used on my Pro-Turn was easily 2,500-3,000 hours and were very much good for the expected lifetime of most ZTR's. And yes...the improvements to sealed bearings were propagated by professional landscapers who needed the time they had to devote to maintenance reduced.

L454S

Threads
My last set of sealed units on an entry level MTD lasted 20+ yrs. Not sure if this is worth concern.

Tta197

Threads
I had sealed bearings on my John Deere tractor that was 13yrs old when I sold it. I never had any issues with the sealed bearings.

chemingthroughtheleather

Threads
Old habits die hard,my Wheel Horses had em and when they didn't I added them.Part of my ritual was to grease the spindles,I guess I will focus on keeping the deck clean as I was remiss in the past.To think I was administering a placebo....:laughing:

RetiredGuns

Threads
I wondered about this also as my new Raptor of course has sealed spindle bearings. I had my Cub Cadet for 9 years before I realized it had zirc fittings on the spindles and I only put grease in them 45 minutes before I sold it! Never had an issue and still had the original belt.

If these sealed bearing last for 2000+ hours then I should be good for over 75 years! If I am still mowing grass when I am 123 years old then I reckon I can afford a spindle assembly.

My neighbor works for a major lawn care company and he said they add zirc fittings to front castor spindles on their mowers. After reading above, I wonder if it does any good. I think it's just natural for a man to want to pump lube into things...:^)