cub cadet 122 just had engine rebuilt

junkyard dog

Threads
I have a 1966 cub with a kohler k301 not complaining it runs good , But looking at parts on the p.c. the $550.00 I got charged just seems a little steep to me. Total rebuild was done. cam shaft, carb also head shaved, put new belt on deck. Is that about right for the job

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
With what some labor costs are today ...?
Seems like a bit... but think what little $550 will get you in a mower today...
Your old Cub will last for decades... :smile:KennyV

junkyard dog

Threads
Ya I love my cub. I use it mostly just to ride around on , put a plow on it sometimes, haul things with it. I usually cut my yard grass with my snapper since I have a lot of things to cut around and it has a smaller deck. The guy that rebuilt my engine has always been really fair with his labor prices. But in the last year or so his business has picked up so he bought his building instead of renting and is remodeling it. I guess his prices went up also. The people that I know that pulls cubs told me it shouldn't have cost over $300.00 including labor so I guess I contributed $250.00 for his new work place. I want to give him the benefit of doubt so that's why I'm asking, I live in the rural south where lawn mower shops are about every 10 miles and I cant afford to keep paying that much extra when it would be no problem to take my stuff to some one else

indypower

Threads
$550 isn't bad for a total rebuild.

junkyard dog

Threads
I would have expected to had paid The $550.00 If I had of taken it to a cub dealer.
But the guy I took it too was as we say a shade tree mechanic, He is good but has no insurance no modern shop no certificate. But if that's a fair price I guess I'm glad I didn't take it to a professional
and get charged a dealer price thanks

poncho62

Threads
It sounds reasonable....A basic rebuild kit is about $150 shipped on ebay.......plus, you said a few extras (cam etc)....plus labor...I think you got a good deal

junkyard dog

Threads
Its Been raining here, Ive just finished cutting some grass with it, Im through venting about the price, Now Im in the he he he I got my cub back and its running wonderful stage. I did miss it so.
I tried to add some pic but dont know how

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
I tried to add some pic but dont know how

If you have them on your computer... just scroll down from the reply to post and you will see Manage Attachments button, click it and you will be ableto browse your files for the picture(s) upload them and submit ...done...:smile:KennyV

junkyard dog

Threads
Ive been trying all evening thought I had it but didnt I will post some soon as I can