Hustler X1i deck belt issues

MELYLES

Forum Newbie
Threads
Any ideas, thoughts or impressions as to why my new Hustler X1i 54 inch ate a deck belt in just 4 hours of use?
It smoked about 4 inches down to a dime (just that one spot) and spattered it forward from the rear pulley - belt was off at rear. I was cutting spotty (not thick) high weeds at a slow speed - Outer most blade was wrapped tight with grass... I was cutting on 4 1/2 inch height. No gumballs, but a few thin, dried sticks (about 1/4 inch). Dealer picked it up and had to order belt since it is a new product for them.
I am concern about having a "vampire belt eater" in my new mower. I noticed some issues with decks being set on high having a geometric alignment problem . Hoping this was just a freak event. This is a new product, I cannot find much info on it. Thanks

Carheir

Threads
I have cut thru fairly high weeds and have not had any issues as you describe. As a matter of fact, (knock on wood) I haven't had any issues since I bought my X1i back at the end of February. Did any of your pulleys lock up?

MELYLES

Forum Newbie
Threads
The belt definitely stayed in one place long enough to buff one spot down - not sure how that got set up.
Considering the vines that wrapped one of the blades, I have to think that this started the process. I recall feeling a thump under the deck and then a rush of blue smoke from the belt.
Dealer dropped it off yesterday and I cut with it this morning - so far so good however even with ear protection the vibrations/humming with the blades engaged is extremely loud.
Dealer did me right, came and picked it up and put new belt on it - no charge. Other then these issues, I have really enjoyed the zero turn experience. Thanks

RaptorSD

Threads
Best not to cut anything that could clog the deck - that's how I shredded the belt on my RSD

Last edited:

MELYLES

Forum Newbie
Threads
That was my first cut on that portion of the yard - hoping not to get it in a bind like that again - thanks